requester chest/inserter interaction

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
robertpaulson
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

requester chest/inserter interaction

Post by robertpaulson »

hi.

i am wondering if there is a way of reproducing the relationship of
inserter-assembling machine or inserter-lab
for;
inserter-chest or inserter-requester chest

what i am talking about is if i have variety of items on a belt, the inserter will only pick up w/e lab currently needs, however this interaction doesn't work for requester chest. seems like the requester chest only requests from flying robots.

the filter inserter has only 5 filters, so when coupled with labs (especially with mods that ad science packs) this quickly clogs up, but the lab-inserter interaction keeps working beyond the 5 item limit- effectively making ANY inserter a filter inserter with 5+ filters

any way of reproducing this with any type of chest that im missing or is it simply not possible?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: requester chest/inserter interaction

Post by DaveMcW »

First, solve this math problem: X = 2147483648 - items needed.

Connect a constant combinator to the chest and filter inserter. Set item = X in the constant combinator for each item you want. Change the inserter mode to "set filter".

Thanks to the magic of integer overflow, the item count will overflow to negative and disable the filter when you have enough items.

robertpaulson
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by robertpaulson »

DaveMcW wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:14 pm
First, solve this math problem: X = 2147483648 - items needed.

Connect a constant combinator to the chest and filter inserter. Set item = X in the constant combinator for each item you want. Change the inserter mode to "set filter".

Thanks to the magic of integer overflow, the item count will overflow to negative and disable the filter when you have enough items.
hmmm this is some wizardy but that wouldn't produce the same outcome at the direct interaction with lab.... what im talking about is you have lets say 9 science packs total, and 7/9 are requested by the chest... then this wont help, unless im missing something here...

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

For each of the 7 science packs, request 2147483600 in the constant combinator. The inserter can only select 5 at a time, but it will get all of them as the chest fills up and disables the other requests.

robertpaulson
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by robertpaulson »

DaveMcW wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:57 am
For each of the 7 science packs, request 2147483600 in the constant combinator.
nono, im talking about the chest is set to request 9 packs, but at this particular instance it requests 7 since all 7 are below the count threshold....
DaveMcW wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:57 am
The inserter can only select 5 at a time, but it will get all of them as the chest fills up and disables the other requests.
wouldn't that happen regardless once the condition is satisfied for each pack as the chest fills up?

let me elaborate here:

i mean if i have enough items[x] i can always set up a small circuit that checks for it. In fact im working with something that averages all connected chests, so even if there is enough items in the system, a particular chest might still request that item due to the contents being below average... the system plugs when one inserter is already below avrg on the 6th pack, but the 6th pack is what currently on the belt, passes the chest and creates an unbalanced system until one of the earlier 5 packs gets on the belt to satisfy those conditions... and carrying over these filters to the insterters that put items on the belt wont solve the problem neither

tbh I'm running into this problem by my own fault in restriction i put into the system, im trying to run one chest/one input inserter for all the packs, which allows for 3labs/chest and looks sexy since 3 lab system can be nicely arranged....

i can always expand via few scenarios but end up with 2 labs per input system regardless of the choice

i was just curious if i'm missing something obvious here since i vaguely remember that chest-inserter interaction in the past, but then i also manufacture my memories often

i might just do a lazy thing and set up a robo-port driven lab system (also looks sexy) and watch them plug up the recharge pods (not so sexy)

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

If you don't want robots, delete all requester chests because they don't do anything.

Return to “Gameplay Help”