No Biters, Less Research?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Tartechlo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

No Biters, Less Research?

Post by Tartechlo »

Hi all.

I prefer to play without any biters as my focus is more about building factories, exploring and expanding with trains. Having to deal with biters, in my opinion, slows the game down and is an unnecessary distraction, especially as they have no real use. However, what I find even more frustration is the need to research weapons that I'm never likely to use, ie. Military and Rocketry to get to a Rocket Silo. Also, having lots of research that I'm not going to do still showing in the research tab seems unnessesary.

My question therefore is, is there a way to disable biters AND the research either vanilla or modded?

Apologies if this subject has been raised before but I did search and found nothing.

Thanks

Skeletpiece
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: No Biters, Less Research?

Post by Skeletpiece »

Maybe this?
enemyBase.PNG
enemyBase.PNG (381.24 KiB) Viewed 3479 times

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

That just removes the biters but leaves the science requirements.

To me, you should research rockets (which requires military) before you can launch a one.

There are science mods that change research requirements, so you could write one to remove the stuff you do not want. There might even be one that does it already. You can also mark any you want to be done using the console: https://wiki.factorio.com/Console

Tartechlo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tartechlo »

I knew how to disable biters and I get that you need to research rocketry to launch a rocket so that wasn't a good example. The point I was trying to make is if i disable biters i have no need for any weapons so why does all the research for turrets, bullets, grenades etc. still be there when you don't need them. Sure, I don't have to research them but it just clutters up the research tab. Not a big deal i know :(

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Tartechlo wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:53 am
I knew how to disable biters and I get that you need to research rocketry to launch a rocket so that wasn't a good example. The point I was trying to make is if i disable biters i have no need for any weapons so why does all the research for turrets, bullets, grenades etc. still be there when you don't need them. Sure, I don't have to research them but it just clutters up the research tab. Not a big deal i know :(
Military stuff is useful even without biters. I've killed thousands more trees than biters with grenades, for example. Possibly more than thousands, as I'm not 100% sure I've ever killed a biter with a grenade though I probably have.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

5thHorseman wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:59 am
Tartechlo wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:53 am
Military stuff is useful even without biters. I've killed thousands more trees than biters with grenades, for example. Possibly more than thousands, as I'm not 100% sure I've ever killed a biter with a grenade though I probably have.
Now if you really want to get into massacring trees you need to get nukes. They're much more difficult and you need a bit more space to use them, but for sheer tree-clearing ability they're unparalleled.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

I've always been surprised how so few of the YouTubers I have watched use poison capsules for tree clearing -- it has always been my prefer method.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Also don't forget to get your pyromanic achievment and driving over 100 trees.

Cost wise I think setting a forest on fire is the cheapest way but certainly not the fastest to clear trees.

Return to “Gameplay Help”