Train Signals: How to stop rear-endings?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
GoldBlockIngot
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Train Signals: How to stop rear-endings?

Post by GoldBlockIngot »

So I encountered a problem where the iron vein I've been basing my factory on has all but dried up. There's a nice fat seam south, so I built a track going down to bring it up. Turns out, one train wasn't enough- as soon as it leaves the stop to get more, by the time it gets back my furnaces are empty again. To solve this I added a second train to my track (i should specify its just a standard track that loops around), but then I enountered my newest problem- when one train stops the other often comes barreling down the track straight into the back of the first.

I have tried numerous times to fix it with rail signals, but it always ends up the same way- either they just flat out don't work, or the train never leaves its station until the signal(s) are removed. I've looked at the tutorial, but it really hasn't been helping.

I've tried the following:

1) Putting one signal just in front of the train stop and another where the trains "hitbox" type thing ended. Results- the trains don't crash, but once they stop at a station, they don't start moving again.

2) Removing the signal in the back and keeping only the one in front of the station. Results- Nothing. The trains crash as usual.

3) Removing the signal in the front and keeping the one in the back. Results- Same as above.

I don't have any understanding of train signals in the slightest and I'm starting to think that they don't even have an application in this scenario- the tutorials I've tried to look up only refer to branching tracks and junctions and such. Is there any way to make this work, or should I really just be using one train on one loop of track?

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Train Signals: How to stop rear-endings?

Post by quyxkh »

Work through the train tutorials, they show you how signals work. If there's something about those that just doesn't click with you, you're going to have to post your actual designs, not just characterizations of them, because these are toys on the edge of being real tools: there's a million ways to do it wrong, and only about a tenth as many ways to do it right.

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

Without more info (pics), my best guess is that you're putting the signals on the wrong side of the track. Signals must be on the right side of the track from the POV of the train.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

I am also struggling to learn and use train signals, so please do not think I am an expert! But I will try to explain what I do in your situation:
Signals divide the tracks into segments. Each segment can only have one train, and the signal prevents the next train from entering the segment until the first train leaves. When you are holding a signal ready to place, the track overlay shows each segment in a different color, so you can see what segments you have already.

From what you described, your loop needs (at least) four segments:
-a stop to pick up iron;
-a track to go from the iron mine to base;
-a stop to drop off iron; and
-a track to go from the base back to the mine.

So I would put four signals:
-one at the end of the stop at the mine, to keep the next train from running into the train at the stop;
-one at the front end of the mine, so the next train can enter the mine stop while the first is returning to base;
-one at the end of the base stop, to keep the next train from running into the train at the stop; and
-one at the front of the base stop, so the next train can enter the base while the first is returning to the mine.

If you have done this and are still getting collisions then I agree with the Colonel that you may have the signals on the wrong side of the track.
Good luck!
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

GoldBlockIngot
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by GoldBlockIngot »

I'm certainly not putting the signals on the wrongs sides. I am getting effects, just not the ones I want.

Here's some images of my setup:

https://pasteboard.co/HKpDdpo.png
This one show the signal ahead of the stop (under my cursors crosshairs) and juuuuust at the back of the cargo wagon is the second one.

https://pasteboard.co/HKpIGrS.png
This is the same setup but at the second station. The signal is on the bottom, by the stop and, once again, the second signal is at the very top near the back of the train.

https://pasteboard.co/HKpJyoy.png
Here's the full map of the track. It's the track between the stations Marko "Koscum" Vinnu and Firestar11.

GoldBlockIngot
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by GoldBlockIngot »

I've also played around with adding a second sequence of signals from behind the trains (where they are in the pics), adding one a few tiles behind the one at the back of the train and another a little ways further down the track than that. Done that to the other side as well. I had some blue and red segments appear, but the trains still won't go until I remove the signal in front, same as before with having one signal in front and another behind.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

You have no signals at the crossings or generally anywhere but your stations, you simply do not understand how signals work.
I suggest that you complete the ingame tutorial and if you have trouble with a specific situation, open a new topic.

Return to “Gameplay Help”