How to kill large number of nests

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Juara
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How to kill large number of nests

Post by Juara »

Hi! Thank you for read.

I'm triying to get production science pack, so i need clear path to "design" everything.

The problem is that i have lots of nests around me and laser turrents are not enough. I have tried flamethrower turrents but it's difficult because advance putting pipes is really slow and doesn't work completely.

It's my first game (but with like 30 hours), so i know that i haven't done everything right (i spend a lot of time fixing what i did previously)

Having said this, there is some way to kill this nests?

Thank you again!
Last edited by Koub on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Lower cased title

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: HOW TO KILL LARGE NUMBER OF NESTS

Post by Mr. Tact »

Lasers really should be enough. Walk up as close as you can without drawing their attention, then place a sub-station as close as you can towards them, then slap down a bunch of laser turrets. Repeat. It is even easier when you have construction bots and blueprints...
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Artillery.

But setup at least 10 turrets and a wall around it, as it will make the biters mad and they will attack you in mass.

Artillery train is even better, due to its ammo capacity.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Yeah, but if he is working toward production science, he probably doesn't have the high tech science required for Artillery.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Typically I find laser turrets are "good enough" right through end-game. Things that might help.
1. Make sure you aren't running low on power (laser turrets use a lot of power when shooting).
2. Research any available laser turret damage and shooting speed upgrades. (It's relatively easy to get + 80% damage and + 90% shooting speed).
3. When attacking with laser turrets you want to use lots of them. eg a row of 10-20 or more laser turrets, then add another row of power poles in front of them, then another row of laser turrets, once all the worms/biter nests in range have been killed you can remove the back row of laser turrets, and repeat.

Another combat choice that you might be able to research now is tanks. (I'm meaning tanks = military armour, not tanks = liquid storage. Factorio has both types of tanks). If you try them, I recommend placing a set of laser and/or flamer turrets you can fall back to, then using the tank to advance and kill spawners/worms, then fall back and let the turrets help kill the pursuing biters. There are also tank related bonuses to research as well.

Once you get more research there is also artillery, nukes, and personal armour mk2 + shields.

Juara
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: How to kill large number of nests

Post by Juara »

Thank you all!

I'im going to try with blueprints, since i haven't used it til now, and tanks.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

What are your military techs available, and what are your bonuses to your weaponry? If Laser Turrets aren't enough, that means 1 of 2 things: you're behind on laser upgrades, or you're not using enough of them. A dozen or so turrets should be enough with adequate upgrades and enough power that they don't lose DPS to lack of power to chew through any amount of enemies. If your laser upgrades are lacking but something else is well upgraded, then perhaps using that instead might make things go easier (this is why I am asking what your bonuses are).

evopwr
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evopwr »

In mid-game, I would try and quickly get Modular Armor, Personal Solar Panels, Battery Mk1, and Shields Mk1.
Then I'd grab a flame thrower (weapon not turret), and some flame ammo, and just run around burning all the nests. Does massive damage, and can easily wipe a cluster out. Dash in, spray, dash out. They just sit their burning for awhile till they die. Really good against swarms of biters as well.
Have to stop and recharge your shields a lot, but it clears things really well.

Return to “Gameplay Help”