Train stations... without train stations?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Jumboman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Train stations... without train stations?

Post by Jumboman »

Hey all,

So today I came up with a new experiment: instead of making trains stop at a train station, make them head towards the 'station' object which is *behind* the actual unloading station, and make it stop at the unloading station using a logic-circuit traffic light. This would allow you to do some things that I don't think you could do with the station object (mainly: to close the station for all trains outside the waiting area, while keeping it accessable to all the trains that are already inside the waiting area).

So the signal would start red (or turn red when the train approaches), and turn green when the train is empty or all the chests are full. Now, the second part (green when chests full) is easy; The question is, how would I know the train is empty when I don't have access to the "read contents" of the train station object? I had thought about reading the stack inserter contents and turning the signal green when all inserters are empty, but if the inserters are synchronized that will not work.

I'm willing to assume balanced loading / balanced unloading is taken care of. I guess that means I could somehow count the number of times that the inserter has moved by pulsing the contents to a timer circuit / poor mans timer using a couple of belts that move 1 tick every time the inserter picks something up?

What are your thoughts?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Train stations... without train stations?

Post by Loewchen »

Jumboman wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:46 pm
What are your thoughts?
Nothing will be loaded or unloaded unless it is in an actual station.

Jumboman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Train stations... without train stations?

Post by Jumboman »

Loewchen wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:01 pm
Jumboman wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:46 pm
What are your thoughts?
Nothing will be loaded or unloaded unless it is in an actual station.
ehm, what? inserters will just take whatever they can get right? I mean, you can use trains before you even unlock stations, so... I don't think what you're saying is correct?
Edit: oh wait, when you drive manually and stop, the cargo doors open... but for automated trains, the cargo doors only open at a station huh? damn... seemed like fun.

is there no way to force the doors open, or toggle between manual and automatic?

Return to “Gameplay Help”