Chest performance question

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Chest performance question

Post by zOldBulldog »

I know inserters need to check every slot of a chest when adding/removing which makes large chests lower performing.

Do they still check slots that were blocked off with the red X ?

In other words, if I block off a large part of a big chest (like a warehouse) that are known to have bad performance because of the increased number of slot checks, does it reduce the performance impact?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Chest performance question

Post by eradicator »

Quick fact: Inserters can take out of red slots just fine, thus the question is only relevant for input.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

eradicator wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:38 pm
Quick fact: Inserters can take out of red slots just fine, thus the question is only relevant for input.
Good point, so chances are that it still checks all the slots. Bummer.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

A good solution for high capacity chests would be single item chests. Only one stack, but unlimited quantity. Or, if you want a little more flexibility, a small number of slots with very high max count number.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Koub wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:56 am
A good solution for high capacity chests would be single item chests. Only one stack, but unlimited quantity. Or, if you want a little more flexibility, a small number of slots with very high max count number.
Yep, I already submitted that in the suggestions forum.

Heck, if done right then chest code could even maintain the current *VISUAL* representation of slots as we have now, but really implement it as only one slot per type of item stored, where the size of the slot/stack adjusts as items are added. Then you get the best of both worlds. One item = single slot of huge capacity, few items = few slots of big capacity until reaching the same capacity as the visual representation, a different item for each slot = the same as now.

But although it is likely to be eventually implemented, there are so many competing enhancements that it will probably take until hell freezes over before it happens. So I was trying to find an alternative to use in the meantime.

My guess is that the option probably doesn't even exist in the mod API or mods like the various chest/Warehousing ones would have already done it.

Return to “Gameplay Help”