Correct blueprint mechanics

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Correct blueprint mechanics

Post by zOldBulldog »

I probably should have asked this a very long time ago, but here it is for both my benefit and the benefit of the many players (the majority?) that encountered the same issue.

The problem:

I always used blueprints intuitively and as shown in most tutorials.
- To create a new blueprint I hit B, New Blueprint, highlight the area, and place the newly made blueprint in my toolbar or inventory.
- To use a blueprint I open my blueprint library, select a blueprint, hit Esc to close the library, and place the blueprint where I need it.

Although the above sounds reasonable I encounter some issues.
- I have to go to B to get the New Blueprint tool. I can't just place it in my toolbar and hit the middle button to lock it. If I do that, the New Blueprint tool gets consumed when I use it the first time. A bit annoying and inefficient.
- When I grab an existing blueprint (or blueprint book) from the library and use it... it leaves a copy in my inventory or toolbar. That consumes precious inventory space. Grrr. If I don't remember having already grabbed it from the library before, I end up getting more and more copies of the same blueprint in my inventory, wasting more space. Double Grrr.
- If frustrated by the above I grab a blueprint book and place it in my toolbar or inventory, well... every time I use a blueprint it takes it out of the book! I don't want to corrupt my books! Triple Grrr.

All of the above can be summarized as: I want to decide when I create/add/remove/use blueprints, but I don't really have that degree of control.

I think I read that they are redesigning the blueprint interface in 0.17 to make it more intuitive and easier to interact with, but that does not help me know.

The possible solution:
If you watch YouTube videos you can see the experts seamlessly create and use blueprints with very little effort, and with none of the problems above.

So... it is pretty obvious that even the existing blueprint mechanisms will let you use blueprints as we want, using a New Blueprint item from the toolbar as many times as needed, and using blueprints from the library without creating new copies that pollute the inventory.

The question is "how". Can someone who knows please explain it? Or better yet, if you are one of the players that create YouTube tutorials, would you make one showing how to use blueprints effectively?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Correct blueprint mechanics

Post by DaveMcW »

Shift + right click to clear a blueprint and recycle it. You only need one on your toolbar for temporary copy/paste operations.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

DaveMcW wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:56 pm
Shift + right click to clear a blueprint and recycle it. You only need one on your toolbar for temporary copy/paste operations.
Awesome, thanks!

That covers the temporary blueprints part.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:02 pm
So does Quickprint which will hopefully become obsolete as soon as 0.17 hits (shameless self-advertisement).

I usually devote 5-10 slots on my toolbar, and 10+ slots of my inventory to blueprints. Including several books. There's no way to "take a BP out of the library without creating an additional copy of it". Imho the library isn't meant to be used as the sole source for blueprints, it's only meant to store them cross-game. And for "taking stuff out of books" you just have to get used to not taking stuff out of books but use the book instead (it's as hard as it sounds, i often just move the print i want to use to the top of the book to avoid scrolling).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:25 pm
zOldBulldog wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:02 pm
So does Quickprint which will hopefully become obsolete as soon as 0.17 hits (shameless self-advertisement).

I usually devote 5-10 slots on my toolbar, and 10+ slots of my inventory to blueprints. Including several books. There's no way to "take a BP out of the library without creating an additional copy of it". Imho the library isn't meant to be used as the sole source for blueprints, it's only meant to store them cross-game. And for "taking stuff out of books" you just have to get used to not taking stuff out of books but use the book instead (it's as hard as it sounds, i often just move the print i want to use to the top of the book to avoid scrolling).
Taking out of book? Exactly how? I have seen people flipping through prints (probably with scrollwheel) but what keyclicks start that?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:46 pm
Taking out of book? Exactly how? I have seen people flipping through prints (probably with scrollwheel) but what keyclicks start that?
Erm? Have you never built using a book? Just pick it up like a normal blueprint...
book.png
book.png (74.26 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:54 pm
zOldBulldog wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:46 pm
Erm? Have you never built using a book? Just pick it up like a normal blueprint...
book.png
Nope. So, you drag the book onto the map like a blueprint then Shift and mousewheel?

Thanks. I would have absolutely never guessed that. And now I feel really dumb... because it really does say that when you mouse over it. I guess I never read past "Right mouse button to open." :oops:

evopwr
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evopwr »

My book often has so many BPs in it, using the mousewheel is annoying trying to find the one I want.
Instead I just open the book, and take the BP out. Then once my inv gets too full of BPs, I put them back in my book.

As a side note, the whole BP thing has had extensive changes for the next version. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

evopwr wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:06 pm
My book often has so many BPs in it, using the mousewheel is annoying trying to find the one I want.
Instead I just open the book, and take the BP out.
That's what i meant with "opening the book and putting the thing i want right now in the first slot". It messes up the books order, but saves inventory space.

Return to “Gameplay Help”