[Resolved] Rails connection issue

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
elboletaire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Resolved] Rails connection issue

Post by elboletaire »

Edit: Apparently the bug is not with the chain signal, but with the rails connection. See below for more details.

Hi everyone! I think I've found a bug with the rail chain signal, but as I'm not sure I better ask you if am missing something with this.

I've been playing other games with chain signals like OpenTTD or Mashinky, and AFAIK, the chain signal in the image below should be blue instead of red:
Buggy (?) Train Chain Signal
chain.png (4.54 MiB) Viewed 3387 times
As you can see, there's only one signal in red in the left side, and the chain signal is also in red when it should be blue. If I move that train from there, the chain signal becomes green. And if I put a train in the upper rail, the chain signal still stays in green:
chain.png (3.98 MiB) Viewed 3387 times
More info, in case it could help:

- Both left rails are double-way stations.
- The right side are one-way rails, using one rail for each direction.
- All the left side signals are working as expected (even the chained ones are working well). The only one with the issue is th

I think this is an issue with the detection of the intersection; I've put that intersection trying to find out the closest place where I could put it: removing the rail until I found the first one showing the rails as blue (as apparently is the way the game tells us that it's a proper rail connection).

In the same map, I've more complicated intersections which work pretty well:
More complicated intersection which works as expected
More complicated intersection which works as expected
chain.png (4.2 MiB) Viewed 3387 times
Do you think I should fill an issue with this? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: Seems to be a bug, but I think it's related to the rails themselves, not the chain signal. With the rails connected like in the image above the train can freely move from the left side to the right side, but when trying to go back to the left side, you can only go to the rail below.
Edit2: Now I see that the red lines above the rails properly show me that they are not properly connected.
Last edited by elboletaire on Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Issue with rail chain signal

Post by HanziQ »

It looks like you can't actually drive from the red chain signal to the open green one, because the rails in the crossing are not connected. If you try to space it out more, it should connect and work properly.

elboletaire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by elboletaire »

Ok, I can confirm this is a bug, as moving the intersection one block away fixes the issue with the signal:
chain.png
chain.png (4.15 MiB) Viewed 3384 times
I'm editing my post to add all the required information for a bug report; I'll need the help of a mod to move the post to bug reports when done btw. Note that I've already searched for this bug report without success, so if I missed it, and it's already reported, please, point me out :)

elboletaire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by elboletaire »

HanziQ wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:45 am
It looks like you can't actually drive from the red chain signal to the open green one, because the rails in the crossing are not connected. If you try to space it out more, it should connect and work properly.
Yes, the issue is not with the chain signal, but with the game showing me that "blue overlay" when adding the rail, which makes me think the rails are properly connected.

elboletaire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by elboletaire »

BTW I could understand this is not an issue but a feature, and that I should know which are the train intersection limits, but fixing the behavior of the blue overlay to not be shown under this case may avoid future confusions.

Here's an image showing the "blue overlay" which I'm saying:
Blue Overlay
Blue Overlay
chain.png (2.48 MiB) Viewed 3379 times

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I might not be looking at you problem correctly, but I don't see a red *chain* signal. I see a red *normal* signal.

If I am interpreting what I see correctly, you might have missed a little detail about signals... They go on the right side of the track, and if you have one on the left, it applies to trains going in the opposite direction.

elboletaire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by elboletaire »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:56 am
I might not be looking at you problem correctly, but I don't see a red *chain* signal. I see a red *normal* signal.

If I am interpreting what I see correctly, you might have missed a little detail about signals... They go on the right side of the track, and if you have one on the left, it applies to trains going in the opposite direction.
Maybe here you can see it better:
chain.png
chain.png (4.13 MiB) Viewed 3376 times
As stated in my first post, the left side are two stations with two-way rails. The right side is also two way, but using two rails (one for each direction); that's why the right side does not have signals in one side, to make them one-way.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

elboletaire wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:01 pm
As stated in my first post, the left side are two stations with two-way rails. The right side is also two way, but using two rails (one for each direction); that's why the right side does not have signals in one side, to make them one-way.
As HanziQ already said, the upper station is not reachable from the red chainsignal, all you have shown so far is working correctly.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] Rails connection issue

Post by zOldBulldog »

I see it now.

1) It applies to trains coming from the right.
2) It is caused by the train coming in the opposite direction.
3) The intersection between them is not right. It is not the 2-2 split you intended, but two 1-2 splits that overlap. Trains can't turn into both directions. So the chain signal does not see an open option to the other rail, but only the single rail that goes to the red normal signal... So it is correctly red.

elboletaire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] Rails connection issue

Post by elboletaire »

Loewchen wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:09 pm
As HanziQ already said, the upper station is not reachable from the red chainsignal, all you have shown so far is working correctly.
Then I guess this post can stay here for anyone like me, who doesn't know this :roll:

I'm changing the title to note it has been resolved. Thanks to everyone :)

Return to “Gameplay Help”