rail signalling help

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
jaront2008
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

rail signalling help

Post by jaront2008 »

I'm working on a big rail base and I have eight stations on Advanced Circuit setup. Some reason when the first station is hooked up it ignores the 8th station. Until I manually drive the train pass the first station. but when the first station is disconnected it works fine and it goes to the 8 station. i don't believe it's a signal problem because all the stations have the same signals and i have no problem with station 2 through 7
Attachments
train stacker
train stacker
s.PNG (2.13 MiB) Viewed 1246 times
stations 2 through 7 signalling
stations 2 through 7 signalling
s2.PNG (4.6 MiB) Viewed 1246 times
stations 8 signalling
stations 8 signalling
s8.PNG (704.28 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Map of setup
Map of setup
map.PNG (106.51 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
stations 1 signalling disconnected
stations 1 signalling disconnected
ss1.PNG (4.04 MiB) Viewed 1246 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: rail signalling help

Post by Loewchen »

There could be several causes for this, but the most likely one is, that the distance between the stations is just too great. You essentially provide the pathfinder with two choices, a close station that is currently occupied or a far away station that is available, at some point the distance penalty outweighs the occupied penalty.

jaront2008
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jaront2008 »

so what you are saying it only looks so far ahead for open stations before it gives up. One thing i don't get why does it work fine when i disconnect the first station it's the same distance

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

jaront2008 wrote:so what you are saying it only looks so far ahead for open stations before it gives up. One thing i don't get why does it work fine when i disconnect the first station it's the same distance
No, it looks at all options, it just prefers the closer one.
Because now the 8th station is competing with the 2nd not the 1st, making it more attractive.

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

You can probably beat the pathfinder into submission by sticking a signal just before the first train stop (the in-game physical "train stop" object, not the logical station) and wiring that signal so it turns red when there is a train at that stop. This will add a large penalty to the first station when it's occupied, encouraging trains to continue to the eighth.

Return to “Gameplay Help”