Develop network remotely?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Kitharodos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Develop network remotely?

Post by Kitharodos »

I want to develop my netwrok remotely so I make blueprints and tell the robots to go build far away from my main base. The problem is that although that the next building is inside a roboport range, it doesnt send any robots to go build it. I have waited for ages and I get a message that the system doesnt have the proper items which is not true. I have tried with different boxes both the red and the green ones but still no robots go to build. What is going on here?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmwn2phc5x040 ... 2.bmp?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxe1vca676ifz ... 1.bmp?dl=0

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Develop network remotely?

Post by DaleStan »

I can't tell what's happening in the world-view screenshot. But in the map view, the error is that the little two-roboport network doesn't have any of the whatever-it-needs. I'm assuming you have a ghost roboport that would connect the little network to the main one. Once that roboport gets built you'll then use the main network's storage to construct the four remaining items.

Chances are, though, that roboport will never get built. You likely have some stuck robots in that network. Robots are very simple. They fly in a straight line from wherever they are to wherever they are going. When they run low on battery, they fly in a straight line from wherever they are to the nearest roboport. (Or maybe the nearest roboport in their network.) If your robots are trying to carry roboports down to fill that gap, but they headed down the sword-shaped peninsula with two "3.5" labels at the pommel, they'll reach the tip of the blade, recharge, start flying south, run out of charge, return to the tip of the blade, recharge, and repeat. You'll have a similar problem if the robots last recharged near COPPER UP 01 or IRON UP 01. There is also a chance that the robots are stuck trying to fly across the big lake next to the sword. If you want one network, I think you need to go hunting at the ends of all your peninsulas for stuck robots, and add roboports to give them a mostly-straight-line path to where they want to go. To be perfectly safe, every straight-line path between any two roboports in the same network should be entirely covered by the yellow area belonging to that network. You're probably OK if you do "yellow or green" instead of just "yellow" and you may be able to use internal routing knowledge to get away with even fewer roboports. But remember that robots always fly in straight lines.

Kitharodos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Develop network remotely?

Post by Kitharodos »

You were right... they were stuck going forward and back to charge

Return to “Gameplay Help”