Electric Mining Drill Math

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
625fa538e1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Electric Mining Drill Math

Post by 625fa538e1 »

My first question is, according to the electric mining drill wiki and 0.16.51 vanilla Factorio in-game info, mining speed is 0.5, which I assume is 0.5 iron/copper/coal/stone per second. However the wiki also states that it "Mines copper, iron and coal at a rate of 0.525/s and stone at a rate of 0.65/s." Aren't these two contradictory?

My second question is, in 0.16.51 vanilla Factorio, assuming a copper mining speed of 0.525/s and yellow belt speed of 13.33/s, It should require at least 25.39 (13.33 / 0.525 = 26 rounded up) electric mining drills (two columns of 2x7 electric mining drills) to fully saturate a yellow belt. However, when I tried to test it in Sandbox mode, it only takes me 20 electric mining drills (two columns of 2x5 electric mining drills) to fully saturate a yellow-belt with copper ore. Why is this? Is my math wrong somewhere?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Electric Mining Drill Math

Post by Koub »

For the 1, two things are to be taken into account : the drill's mining speed, and the hardness of the ressource.
Stone is not the same as iron and copper. Source here : https://wiki.factorio.com/Mining#Mining_Speed_Formula
tbh, I find all this unnecessarily complicated :).

[Edit] For the 2 In sandbox mode, did you get any techs ? because if you took "all the techs", you also got the mining productivity techs. With the math, there are 16 productivity techs before infinite kick in, that's a 32% bonus. So you need :
13.33/(0.525*1.32) = 19.23 => 20 mining drills do saturate the yellow belt :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

625fa538e1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Electric Mining Drill Math

Post by 625fa538e1 »

Koub wrote:For the 1, two things are to be taken into account : the drill's mining speed, and the hardness of the ressource.
Stone is not the same as iron and copper. Source here : https://wiki.factorio.com/Mining#Mining_Speed_Formula
tbh, I find all this unnecessarily complicated :).
Nice, thanks for the link!

Return to “Gameplay Help”