Train outline change with train stations

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
SamVosh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Train outline change with train stations

Post by SamVosh »

I am not sure if I should put this subject in the bug report section or in the gameplay help. I found next to nothing about train station changes during Version 16 update patch notes. So posting it here as I don't see it as a bug.

With the release of Version 16 Beta I made the decision to attempt to make a mega factory. With an initial seed base set up I cleaned up most of the alien presence, claiming a lot of patches to mine. Planning it big to make the mega factory come to life. Starting it all with making a mega smelter:
20180721134830_1.jpg
20180721134830_1.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 1554 times
This smelter was designed in the first stable of version 16. Designed around unloading and loading trains as fast as possible for the vanilla 1 locomotive, 4 wagon train setup. In that version the stations would outline perfectly as can be seen in the picture above. Unfortunately, today I noticed a change which changes my planning quite dramatically. As the stack inserters no longer outline with the train.
20180721134802_1.jpg
20180721134802_1.jpg (980.69 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
I discovered this outline change today when working on a mirrored version of the mega smelter. As the belts didn't match with the train station outline. I tried to find a spot where it would. But the train stations are on a seperate 2x2 grid over the normal grid. Preventing me to correct it.

The outline has changed. The train placement is adjusted for reasons I can only speculate. Add there being no mention of such a change in patch notes or no one seeming to notice on the forums. I felt the need to bring this up. Have the train outline of south facing and north facing stations changed? Has anyone seen any mention of this change and why it happened?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Train outline change with train stations

Post by eradicator »

SamVosh wrote:I discovered this outline change today when working on a mirrored version of the mega smelter.
[...]
Have the train outline of south facing and north facing stations changed? Has anyone seen any mention of this change and why it happened?
Train stations in blueprints can only be rotated if the train has an odd number of components (1L4C, 1L4C, etc), "Why" that happens is simply math. Because stations can only be placed every two tiles, and the first locomotive is effectively one tile "shorter" because there's nothing in front of it it needs to keep a one tile distance to.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

SamVosh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SamVosh »

I must have never noticed the outline issue before than. Silly of me. :oops: I did some extra testing on different versions to see if it was changed. I couldn't find any. So my mistake. Although I guess I could put in a request to let opposite facing stations line up. :lol:

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

SamVosh wrote: Although I guess I could put in a request to let opposite facing stations line up. :lol:
You could also post a request to make 1+1=3, with equal success chances :p.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

MicFac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MicFac »

Off-topic, Sorry.

Although the problem you had was already fixed I wanted to point out that you can make the setup much more efficient by shifting the beacons or furnaces 1 tile vertically (so that they are misaligned by 1 tile). This way each beacon that's not on the edge covers 2 more furnaces and every furnace that's not on the edge gets covered by 1 more beacon.

Return to “Gameplay Help”