Reading the achievements list

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Reading the achievements list

Post by zOldBulldog »

I know this is probably the dumbest question ever, but I'd rather ask a dumb question than risk spending dozens of hours in a Factorio run that doesn't result in completing the achievements I'm tackling.

So... when I look at the achievements list I can see:

- Achievements I already completed have the titles and a symbol in the top right in a greenish color.
- 3 achievements (the ones I plan to work on) show in my current map in a yellow/goldish color.
- 3 achievements that I know I am not eligible for at this time (I already exceeded the 90min/15hr/8hr time limits) show in a pinkish color and with a stop sign (crossed circle) on the top right.

The completed and not eligible because of exceeding the time I am very clear on. Where I am a little confused is on the 3 that show in yellow/gold (Steam all the way, Raining Bullets and Logistic network embargo). The color seems to hint that they are eligible to accomplish in the current run, but I would have sworn that the biter settings I'd chosen (in order to do some blueprint work without much harassment, for example I think - not certain - that I selected no biter expansion) should have disqualified those achievements from completion.

Does the yellow/gold color mean they are truly eligible and that I can earn them on this run?
(because if yes, I'm totally going to play through it with no solar, laser turrets or the various advanced logistic chests!)

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Reading the achievements list

Post by DaveMcW »

Yes, the yellow ones are still eligible. There are several loopholes in map settings to weaken biters without making you ineligible.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I knew there were loopholes, and I even understand the purpose of keeping the loopholes around for now (as removing them could make the achievements in their *current* form very hard to complete and end up discouraging a lot of Factorio players, maybe even scare them away).

What made me doubt myself was that I didn't even try to hit the loopholes this run, I was literally focused on improving my blueprints before going for the achievements that involved bug combat. Nice surprise though.

And thanks for replying so quickly!!!

Blinky
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Blinky »

To save me some digging, could someone please confirm what these loopholes are?
ImageImage

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Lowering whatever triggers biter attacks or presence on the map :

Setting size "none" for enemy bases on terrain settings
Altering/removing in advanced settings :
- pollution generation and spread
- evolution
- enemy expansion

I think that's all
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Koub wrote:Lowering whatever triggers biter attacks or presence on the map :

Setting size "none" for enemy bases on terrain settings
Altering/removing in advanced settings :
- pollution generation and spread
- evolution
- enemy expansion

I think that's all
Personally, I kind of like those loopholes. Why... that might take a little explaining, and some comes from the assumption that the *majority* of players would have the preferences I think they'd have. I am aware that I could be wrong but without some hard statistics it is all I have to go about.

Train of thought:
- Assumption:. Most players want a gradual introduction to the game. Easiest as they learn game mechanics and experiment with different designs.
- Assumption:. Achievements give players encouragement and incentive to learn the more complex parts of the game, as they discover the mode of play they enjoy. For some it will be "just playing", for others "creating efficient designs", others "creating things of beauty", some combat, some "huge things", some "rail networks", some "speed runs" and others something else entirely.
- Therefore achievements are most useful early on, when players are still learning and finding their niche, and need encouragement.
- After the achievements are done, most will likely drift into mods... which will disable the ability of further original achievements (although some mods have their own achievements).
- Using the loopholes allow players to gradually add complexity as they stay in vanilla. For example:. (1) Play on peaceful for the first run, learning and designing a base. (2) Turn off peaceful but keep no expansion and no pollution on, to delay engaging biters until ready. (3) Turn on on pollution, to begin learning about making a base while defending yourself. (4) Enable expansion (perhaps at a low rate) to come closer to normal combat. (5) Finally start with normal biter settings.
- All of those stages can be done separate from achievements, but it is the achievements that often keep the player engaged and interested as he goes through that process, so the achievement loopholes in vanilla are what actually make such a gradual learning process possible.

Personally, what I think would be ideal is for there to be a sequence of difficulty (which loopholes are allowed) for the biter-required achievements, so that you can do them in sequence if you so prefer, or tackle them all at once without using any loopholes. It could even be a series of achievement-related map presets.

Return to “Gameplay Help”