simple power switch setup?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Cronie
Inserter
Inserter

simple power switch setup?

Post by Cronie »

OK, I am trying to set up a very simple power switch setup and I am having trouble finding anything relevant on the googles. All of the "tutorials" are either let's play videos or super complicated logic gate videos for people making crazy complicated machines.

I have a power switch and an assembling machine. I would like the assembler to turn on when I have less that 200 inserters, but no matter what I do I can't get it to work. I have connected the cables to the switch, the switch has power, I set the switch to turn on at <200 .... what am I doing wrong?

Could someone post a simple screenshot of what this should look like? I think i am making a simple error, but i can't figure out what.

Thanks for your help

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: simple power switch setup?

Post by 5thHorseman »

If you posted a pic of your setup we'd probably be able to tell you what's wrong.

The 2 big things are you need it hooked up to the logistic network or the chest that you're monitoring, and you also need to make sure the assembler/inserter/whatever is not getting power from another pole.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

you need to connect a power sorce to one sinde and the assembler to the ohter side (but be careful not to fork into another energy source to the assembler.....

Then you need to connect (via red/green wire) a readable entity to the power switch ( i would suggest a steel chest which you insert the inserters)

Then check the inserters and thier number in the powerswitch
ssss.jpg
ssss.jpg (154.49 KiB) Viewed 6445 times
example checks if the tank-fill

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Yea, most important thing is that you can't switch off a single assembler. You can only dis/connect power networks. On the map view you can see this as a red/green line when it's off/on.
powerswitch.jpg
powerswitch.jpg (99.68 KiB) Viewed 6434 times

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I am not certain this is what you are trying to do, but if all you want to do is limit production to 200 inserters, why not just set the limit on the chest, without needing a power switch? Then when the chest reaches the 200 the inserter stops and so does the assembler.

Cronie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cronie »

nosports wrote:you need to connect a power sorce to one sinde and the assembler to the ohter side (but be careful not to fork into another energy source to the assembler.....

Then you need to connect (via red/green wire) a readable entity to the power switch ( i would suggest a steel chest which you insert the inserters)

Then check the inserters and thier number in the powerswitch
ssss.jpg
example checks if the tank-fill
Here is what I have tried Image
I set it to 20k just to test it, the power does not come on, though. The switch is connected to a power source and the red wire is connected to the chest with the insterters

No matter what I set, the power won't come on

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Cronie wrote:No matter what I set, the power won't come on
Screenshot + Blueprint + Savegame or it didn't happen ;).

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Click the power poles on both sides of the switch to look at the power network. Can you see the assembling machine? Can you see the power source?

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

Cronie wrote: No matter what I set, the power won't come on
Yea make sure one side is connected to a power source tho. The switch is closed, so it connects. Just need a power source.

You can check if a pole is connected to your main power network by clicking on it. Youll see a rundown of power produced etc. If its 0 then theres no power or not connected to main power source.

Return to “Gameplay Help”