Avoid logistic loop pulling from and returning items to bus

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Avoid logistic loop pulling from and returning items to bus

Post by zOldBulldog »

I am trying to identify the simplest and most effective way to return items from deconstruction to the bus (via bots) without causing a loop with the logistic chest that pulls from the bus. I have something in place but I think it is not quite good enough.

Note: In this post I am only focusing on bus items, regular assembler items use buffer chests so that it's materials return when deconstructed.

I looked at many methods and the following look promising:

- Using a logistic storage chest with its logistic filter set to the desired resource, then an inserter to dump its contents onto the bus. The only concern is that if I do a large deconstruction I might get more items than fit in the chest and the rest would end up in a random chest. I suspect that the bots are not smart enough to move the excess items to the storage chest that has the logistic filter once it empies onto the bus.

- Use buffer chests for both pulling from and returning the item to the bus, setting the requested number of items of both to the same quantity. That way returned items would go to both up to the number requested, the rest to storage chests, and as the return chest empties onto the bus it would keep requesting from the storage chests.

- Use one buffer chest for both pulling and returning to the bus, setting the chest request to a large number (maybe the capacity of the chest... assuming there is no passive provider anywhere for that item) with circuit logic on the two inserters: item in chest < quantity you want available on the pull side, item in chest > quantity you want available plus 5 or 10 (because of inserter bonuses).

Would the logistic storage chest with a filter do what I want or is the possible problem I mentioned real?

Are the other two approaches viable or do they have some negative aspect to them?

Is there some other approach I missed?

EDIT: Here is a Bus tap and return I made using Aeternus method. Works beautifully. Just need to remember to "request from buffer chests" when using a requester chest that needs this resource.
bustap.jpg
bustap.jpg (137.48 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
And the blueprint:

Code: Select all

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
Last edited by zOldBulldog on Thu May 24, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Avoid logistic loop pulling from and returning items to bus

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

There's more than one way to skin a cat. I would do something like:

Bus -> Buffer Chests
Assemblers (Factory Goods)-> Passive Providers
Assemblers (Player Goods)-> Buffer Chests
Requester Chests (Can request from Buffer Chests) -> Assemblers
Requester Chests (Can not request from Buffer Chests) -> Bus
Deconstruction & Trash -> Storage Chest (No Filter)

Where a buffer chest is pulling from the bus, set the buffer to request the item. Max the slider. Connect the chest to the insert that takes from the bus via a wire. Set the inserter to work only if the chest is less than half full. This will let the chest collect supplies from the bus, but will prioritize recycling junk.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

For items that actually go on the bus:
Bus -> Green inserter (if item <10 stacks load into chest) -> Buffer chest -> Green inserter (if item > 20 stacks pull from chest onto bus) -> Bus (with priority merge)
Then if there's a large surplus some of it ends up in generic storage - but that doesn't matter. It'll get taken out of there either by the green chest slowly draining and being refilled from generic storage, or from generic storage directly.

For items that don't go on the bus, such as structures:
Factory -> Inserter (if item < 5 stacks) -> Buffer chest. Buffer chest set to request a full 48 stacks.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Awesome, although you have slightly different perspectives at the core both answers are the same. That removes my doubts, thanks!!!

Unless someone can detect a problem I think that I will do:

- For normal gamesI will use Aeternus approach and quantities exactly.

- For the Logistic Network Embargo game I will use Passive Providers to pull from Assemblers and Bus, Storage chests with filters to return to the bus, and a larger set of storage chests without filters. Not perfect but probably handles most of the need while staying inside the achievements restrictions.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

There is a more silly logistic loop of the player requesting items and autotrashing them at the same time. Who the heck wants to grab an item and immediately trash it into an infinite loop? :lol: IMO the game should override the logistic request as the trash minimum, regardless of trash settings.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

bobucles wrote:There is a more silly logistic loop of the player requesting items and autotrashing them at the same time. Who the heck wants to grab an item and immediately trash it into an infinite loop? :lol: IMO the game should override the logistic request as the trash minimum, regardless of trash settings.
Whaaat? That is not what we are talking about.

The main source of trash here comes from large deconstructs, as I improve my blueprints before starting another game.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Buffer chests should straight up do what you want. They are low priority requester chests that help clear clutter from storage. Call it into the buffer and inject it into your bus from there.

If you're dunking bus items into red chests it will create a logistic loop. Don't do that. Make dedicated red chest dumps or use buffer chests instead. Buffer chests will give items out and consolidate items back at the same time.

Buffer chests are also very useful for keeping your mall lean and clean. They pull items out of storage and keep all your stuff centralized.Combine it with the inserter's wireless mode (connect to logistic network) so that you can force inserters to not max out chests. That allows the buffer chests to pull junk back to the mall.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Huh. That tap's more narrow then my own design... might need to pilfer that. Neat :) I had 2 inserters taking from the chest and merging both sides of the belt, then push that in via priority splitter. More throughput, but wider.
Storage chests with filter could replace the "factory" green chests in my design if so desired. I suppose the effect is mostly the same, with the exception that storage chests with filter can only hold one type of item, and always "request" maximum available - but will not pull from generic storage if an overflow goes into the generic unfiltered storage.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Glad you liked it.

For the storage chests with filter I was thinking that they behave a little strange since they don't pull from storage chests without a filter.

I can't think of too many uses for them except for the Logistic Network Embargo achievement, where one can be used to return goods to the bus (or even passive chests) but overflow would end up piled up in regular storage chests... and over time with regular use those overflows might dwindle away. So just deploying extra storage chests during the achievement is probably all that's needed, and you would not lose "too much" of the most useful parts of the logistic functionality even during the embargo. Just thinking at this point, I have not tried it yet.

Maybe enhancing storage chests with filter to be able to pull from storage chests without filter would make them more useful.

I'd also be interested to see what other uses people found for storage chests with filters.

Return to “Gameplay Help”