Interaction between productivity modules and other bonuses

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Interaction between productivity modules and other bonuses

Post by zOldBulldog »

I have seen contradictory answers to this question and I would like to get a definitive answer.

Please note that for this example I am using imaginary components and bonuses to simply understand the mechanics of it, reality of course depends on the exact components

Let's say we have a factory component X (assembler, electric miners, chemical plant or anything else.

Let's assume that it's initial productivity is 100 (in whatever units).

After doing a bunch of research it's productivity has been raised to 200.

Now we add a module that gives a 20% productivity boost on an unreseaeched component (bringing it from 100 to 120.

Now the key question:. On the component that has productivity of 200 because of the research, will the bonus from the module be 20 (20% of the base productivity) bringing t to 220, or will it be 40 (20% of the already boosted productivity) bringing it to 240?

This is especially important after you do a lot of white science research, as it will mean that module bonuses are either a tiny drop in the bucket or a significant boost, and will determine whether they are worth using at that stage.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Interaction between productivity modules and other bonuses

Post by DaveMcW »

Drop in the bucket.

Ironically it's the opposite for speed modules and research bonuses, which multiply each other.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

DaveMcW wrote:Drop in the bucket.

Ironically it's the opposite for speed modules and research bonuses, which multiply each other.
Thank you, I suspected that but it is good to have it confirmed.

It is disappointing, as given the cost, power drain of modules and beacons plus the significant layout complexity caused by beacons I would have expected more of an impact.

But meh, it is what it is and will adapt. Will ignore modules and beacons when space science is available. Especially with electric miners (I was using prod+speed modules and beacons for uranium... Will definitely stop once I get enough levels.

I also noticed that even efficiency modules to control pollution become pointless once you get some decent artillery upgrades. Just setup artillery outposts surrounded by 10-15 turrets and double walls and you can clear the neighborhood of nests and biters quite nicely so that pollution control stops being important.

We adapt, but it still feels weird.

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

Lets say each productivity module in a miner gives you 1 extra ore per second. This would be true regardless of your total mining productivity. At 100% they would provide 1ore/s and at 200% they would provide 1ore/s. The total ore produced per miner is much higher at 200% so as a fraction that 1ore/s is not as great, however as you produce more ore the relative cost of the module also goes down proportionally.

Another way to look at it: If a module costs 200 ore to produce and gives 1 free ore per second then the payback time is 200 seconds. This payback time is the same regardless of mining productivity.

Return to “Gameplay Help”