Need some blueprints of simple working train runs

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Mauslag PIngman
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Need some blueprints of simple working train runs

Post by Mauslag PIngman »

This is all for .16
I'm looking for some blueprints to download. I need some simple train layouts with signals that work. The trains run and don't get the "no path" or crash into each other. All I've been finding is very complicated, beautiful intersections. Has anyone got a link?

I need a blueprint for a loop. The train would enter from a single track and go to a stop and then loop back to the track it came in on. It could have a loop and stop at the other end too.

I need a track crossing another track with signals. This is what screwed up my existing tracks. I had a number of working tracks going north and south. Some looped at the end and others were laid out one way in elongated circles and then I tried to cross these tracks with another line. That screwed up everything and because I don't build tracks every day I forgot all the rules.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Need some blueprints of simple working train runs

Post by zOldBulldog »

1) go to factorioprints.com
2) select most favorite
3) in search titles enter the word rail

Now you have a list of train blueprints by popularity

4) look at the most popular that do what what you want. Those will likely behave the best. Personally I like a lot the set that is chunk aligned.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

Train systems are inherently hard to blueprint, because each train system has a different route it needs to take to get from one station to another. The most likely cause of "no path" problems is that you have a signal on one side of a rail but not the other. Check the tutorial on Two Way rails under Show your Creations. Another issue would be if the train has to turn around to get to it's destination, but can't find a way to turn around.

As for a loop station blueprint, I prefer this one:

Trains enter from the left, go through one of the two parking spots, stop at the station, then continue straight after doing what they need to do. The number of parking spots can be increased or decreased as needed such that all trains served by that station can wait without blocking any other trains on the network. It's very easy to build even without the blueprint as you just make the loop as tight as you can, and it can accommodate trains with one locomotive and two cargo wagons.
Station
For a crossing the simplest is to cross and put two way chain signals on both sides. It's safe, but can cause slowdowns as a train could have to wait quite some time for another train to cross before starting down the opposing path:
Crossing
The problems with the above can be mostly aleviated by having a passing siding just before the intersection. A train approaching from that direction will only reserve the standard signal into the passing section rather than reserving the intersection itself from miles away. :
Crossing with Passing Lane

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

No blueprints but a reference for 2 way rail setup. (Open the spoilers for images). viewtopic.php?f=194&t=53937 . Unfortunately that assumes you already understand the basics of signalling, so here is a link to a 3 part reference on rail signals. https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ts_23_and/ (Scroll down to the first post for links to part 2 and 3, and a pdf. Lastly a reference for why deadlocks happen, and how to avoid them. viewtopic.php?f=194&t=18621

Personally I think you are better off learning how to signal junctions yourself, because if you start relying on borrowed blueprints, things will work for a while, butonce you start making changes, things are likely to break, and you will not understand why.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

viewtopic.php?f=194&t=59517&p=355960&hi ... il#p355960
Something like this? These chunks are basically lego pieces you can fit together to create a working rail system.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=xterminator+rail+book+factorio

Rail books are a great way to build the highway between your bases. A few rules about using the rail book:

- The rail book is designed to stay aligned to its own special grid. Make sure power poles match before adding a new piece. Don't add custom twists and bends to the system.
- Don't place intersections too close together. The signals are not made for that and long trains will cause jams.
- You still have to build your own stackers/train depots and such. It's not a panacea!

Mauslag PIngman
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mauslag PIngman »

Thanks for your help. I'll be trying some of these blueprints. I'm going to try taking this thing online to see if anyone knows how to put signals on this track. If you want to help the game will be labeled "need help with train crossing signals". The train crossing is labeled with a train signal. It is about in the middle of the huge map. Need signals on all three tracks going all the way around. I'll just leave the game up on multiplayer.

I was going to say "very helpful" but I'm finding the same kind of thing I find on Reddit which is very pretty, very complicated intersections and unloading devices. That's wonderful, but I'm struggling with this stuff and only want simple things that illustrate how the signals should be placed. I have played the tutorials (those that I could make progress on). I have watched videos. I have built small tracks and got things working, but for some reason things still go wrong in the "real world" when I'm setting up a long track. Its very easy to put down a couple of bad signals and screw up something that just takes forever to correct. And I am not ever getting the feeling that I understand this thing. Its more like I just stumble on making something work right. Reminds me a lot of taking calculus classes 40 years ago. I felt I was on the verge of understanding and then I'd build a track and I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

I just want to see exactly where to put the signals on a simple design. I don't want my crossing trains to be able to go from one line to another right now. I just want to automate one train crossing two tracks, visiting a station, looping back, crossing the tracks again without getting that stupid "no path" and loading up at the loop on the other end.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

The basic rule for signaling an intersection is place a chain signal before the crossing and a normal signal after the crossing for each possible train path.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

That is for your typical dual (or more) track setup. But if I understand the OP properly he is running two way track, and sections of two way track should be signalled with pure chain signals (and only need those at crossings).

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Mauslag PIngman wrote:Thanks for your help. I'll be trying some of these blueprints. I'm going to try taking this thing online to see if anyone knows how to put signals on this track. If you want to help the game will be labeled "need help with train crossing signals". The train crossing is labeled with a train signal. It is about in the middle of the huge map. Need signals on all three tracks going all the way around. I'll just leave the game up on multiplayer.

I was going to say "very helpful" but I'm finding the same kind of thing I find on Reddit which is very pretty, very complicated intersections and unloading devices. That's wonderful, but I'm struggling with this stuff and only want simple things that illustrate how the signals should be placed. I have played the tutorials (those that I could make progress on). I have watched videos. I have built small tracks and got things working, but for some reason things still go wrong in the "real world" when I'm setting up a long track. Its very easy to put down a couple of bad signals and screw up something that just takes forever to correct. And I am not ever getting the feeling that I understand this thing. Its more like I just stumble on making something work right. Reminds me a lot of taking calculus classes 40 years ago. I felt I was on the verge of understanding and then I'd build a track and I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

I just want to see exactly where to put the signals on a simple design. I don't want my crossing trains to be able to go from one line to another right now. I just want to automate one train crossing two tracks, visiting a station, looping back, crossing the tracks again without getting that stupid "no path" and loading up at the loop on the other end.
Two suggestions:

1) Look up the blueprint I mentioned earlier. It is very simple, has I think only 6 blueprints for all the major things, and as long as you use it as indicated (F4 and toggle Show Grid before placing so that you put it in the right place) it seems to be reliable. https://factorioprints.com/view/-Ko4Un71BhDDTUvorRv5

2) Go to youtube.com and search for "Factorio Rail Tutorial". You will find a number of tutorials that should be helpful in learning the basics of signaling.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

Mauslag PIngman wrote:...

Here is the simple crossing. One line crossing two lines. Following a simple rule of surround the crossing with chain signals.
Crossing
If you only have one train on each line, no further signals are necessary anywhere in your system other than crossings. Just put the tracks down and put stations on them. I also have the loop station in my earlier post you can use.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

That dualloop helped me understand it. But thats just me. It contains oneway rail with a bidirectional section combined and this is not easy. Its easier to have only oneway i think.
dualloop.jpg
dualloop.jpg (332.75 KiB) Viewed 13942 times

Code: Select all

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

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

aober93 wrote:That dualloop helped me understand it. But thats just me. It contains oneway rail with a bidirectional section combined and this is not easy. Its easier to have only oneway i think.
dualloop.jpg

Code: Select all

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
Add a third train and get it to work...
Then you know everything about it.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

steinio wrote: Add a third train and get it to work...
From that screenshot it looks like it should support the 3rd train, maybe even a 4th, then lock up on the 5th as every rail segment would be occupied.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

zOldBulldog wrote:
From that screenshot it looks like it should support the 3rd train, maybe even a 4th, then lock up on the 5th as every rail segment would be occupied.
Yep, the 5th would be a deadlock. You might actually be able to create a deadlock with three, but the maximum theoretical capacity is 4.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Jap2.0 wrote:
zOldBulldog wrote:
Yep, the 5th would be a deadlock. You might actually be able to create a deadlock with three, but the maximum theoretical capacity is 4.
No, with 3 it won't deadlock, because one of the trains will always be able to advance to the next block, freeing up the block that was previously occupying to another train.

gsezz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gsezz »

4 segments -> 3 trains work, 4th train = deadlock.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Frightning wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:
zOldBulldog wrote:
No, with 3 it won't deadlock, because one of the trains will always be able to advance to the next block, freeing up the block that was previously occupying to another train.
Have two trains in the west most blocks and a third in the central block heading west. Deadlock.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Frightning wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:
zOldBulldog wrote:
Have two trains in the west most blocks and a third in the central block heading west. Deadlock.
The trains will not cross the chain signal at the exit of the east blocks to go west until it can reserve the standard signal on the entrance of the west block block. If there are two trains in the west blocks, then it will have to wait at the chain signal at the east, leaving the main block free.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Mr. Tact wrote:The basic rule for signaling an intersection is place a chain signal before the crossing and a normal signal after the crossing for each possible train path.
No, the basic rule is to place a normal signal if a train can stop at the next signal without blocking an intersection (or any way track).

Which is the same as your rule except when intersections are too close together or you have two way tracks.

Return to “Gameplay Help”