Requester Chest gotcha? SOLVED

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Requester Chest gotcha? SOLVED

Post by zOldBulldog »

I know I'll be embarrassed when I hear the answer as it is probably staring me in the face, but I'm stumped. Try not to laugh too hard as you answer.

- I used requester chests in the past and they worked fine.
- I setup a few requester chests asking for basic cliff explosive making materials (coal, sulfur, grenades, steel).
- I did setup a filter for the right item in each requester chest, and I setup the fill limit at 1 stack for each.
- I have solid and continuous roboport coverage.
- I have lots of idle logistic robots.
- I have supply in the logistic network (verified by hitting L, at least 500 items of each). Some are from passive chests at the output of assembly units, others might be getting pulled from storage chests at this time.
- Standing right next to these requester chests I can ask for delivery of these supplies to my character and they come just fine.
- But... there is no delivery to the requester chests, even when the chests are empty.

Am I failing to notice some critical concept about requester chests?

(Feel free to ask additional questions about my setup, or to ask whether I did something... no matter how stupid it might be to do it or not, chances are I missed something really dumb)

SOLUTION:

Discovered that the amounts requested in these chests were zero (0). Not sure how that could have happened, could be user error or a bug. Probably a bug since requestor chests usually give a non-zero default when creating them.
Last edited by zOldBulldog on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Requester Chest gotcha?

Post by Mr. Tact »

Items get delivered to you out of a requester chest? Why would that happen? They should come out of a passive provider or storage chest. Are you certain it is a requester?
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Mr. Tact wrote:Items get delivered to you out of a requester chest? Why would that happen? They should come out of a passive provider or storage chest. Are you certain it is a requester?
No, maybe I wasn't clear.

I am standing "right next" to the requester chest that is not functioning correctly. The materials come from Passive Providers and Storage chests.

Right at that spot *I* can receive the item, when the chest does not. The way I understand it, that proves that the logistic network itself has the proper coverage at that location (if I can receive, the requester chest should also be able to receive).

And yes, it *is* a requester chest. It is blue, and when I put my mouse over it... it says Requester chest in the UI panel on the right.

The problem is that the requester chest isn't getting anything delivered to it. I must have setup something wrong, but I don't see it.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Hmm. Well, I have seen inserters with wire conditions get "confused" -- where the setup was correct, but they wouldn't work. Then I remove and replace the inserter with the exact same conditions and it starts working. Perhaps removing it and replacing it will resolve the problem? Not an explanation, but possibly a solution. Although admittedly not a high likeliness of success.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Post the save with the player next to the chest that does not get the requested items.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Mr. Tact wrote:Hmm. Well, I have seen inserters with wire conditions get "confused" -- where the setup was correct, but they wouldn't work. Then I remove and replace the inserter with the exact same conditions and it starts working. Perhaps removing it and replacing it will resolve the problem? Not an explanation, but possibly a solution. Although admittedly not a high likeliness of success.
These are just requester chests and vanilla (no circuits) blue inserters that pull from those chests and load into assemblers.

I can't test right now, but as soon as I can I'll decouple one of the chests completely to see if it starts getting filled.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Requester Chest gotcha? SOLVED

Post by zOldBulldog »

Mr Tact got me looking in the right direction.

Although requestor chests usually default to a stack when setting the item to be requested, these were all set to 0 (zero).
There was no circuit logic, but it seems obvious that some sequence of events reset them to 0.

Houston, we have a (rarely triggered) bug :(

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Interesting. Seems unlikely you would have fat fingered multiple items to zero. Weird.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Was the chest put down via blueprint? Perhaps the blueprint got "reconfigured" some how?

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Mr. Tact wrote:Was the chest put down via blueprint? Perhaps the blueprint got "reconfigured" some how?
Nope, by hand. Pretty simple setup too. A few requester chests, assemblers, passive provider chests and blue inserters. Nothing special.

Return to “Gameplay Help”