Inserters getting stuck loading

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Elderon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Inserters getting stuck loading

Post by Elderon »

Hi everyone,

I have a problem i can't seem to fix.

The situation:

I am playing a railworld map and have unlocked all techs.
When i saw somebody mentioning the idea of making a supply teain you can call bringing buildingsuplies to a new location. This is something i am trying to build. I want to fill one wagon with about 15 diffrent materials from belts to walls to lasers etc.

The problem:
I am using requestor chests to get the needed suplies near the cargowagon. The bots seem to bring a few more items than needed. I have set filters in the wagon ( e.g. 700 walls, 150 lasers, 50 stack inserters). The problem occures when the inserter tries to insert 12 items when less spaces are available. The remaining items stay in the inserter arm and the inserter stops working. It does not place the extras back in t he chest and won,t load the other items.

I could set the stacksize bonus to one and avoid the problem, but that slows the reload down. I have place for 12 chest next to the train so i can use dedicated chest. I ccould use 2 wagons but.....i dont like that option.

Current solution:
I set my inserter bonus to 10. I rigged up a few decider combinators to check if the chest has 10 or more of the requered items and anothet decider to check if the train has least space for 10 items. E.g. For lasers there is space for 150 so the decider checks if there are no more than 140 lasers in the wagon. Using the set filter fuction on the inserter, this ensures it will always lload. This hower lowers all supply types in the cart by ten. I would prefer to fully load the wagon. Does anybody have an idea? I am stuck but i am sure it must be posible

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Inserters getting stuck loading

Post by Kayanor »

Moved from General Discussion to Gameplay Help.
Former moderator.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

The normal solution is to use a dedicated chest and inserter per product. You can fit 12 regular inserters or 24 long handled inserters per cargo wagon.

Elderon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Elderon »

12 dedicated chest would be easiest, but i got 21 diffrent types of items.
I do like the suggestion of using long arm inserters for 24 dedicated chests but i cant seem to fit it. The place i would need to place the long arm inserters is occupied by the normal(or stack inserters).

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

2 rows of long inserters, 2 rows of chests

c = chest
i = inserter
w = wagon

Code: Select all

cccccc
cccccc
iiiiii
iiiiii
wwwwww
wwwwww
iiiiii
iiiiii
cccccc
cccccc

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Also, you can of course use multiple wagons... With rocket fuel a 1-2 is pretty quick, and you normally don't ride your supply train yourself anyway.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Here is a quick image of dual long-handled inserters and normal inserters I whipped up in sandbox mode. (I see that others have replied in the meantime, but an image is worth a 1000 words).
outpost.loading.png
outpost.loading.png (773.93 KiB) Viewed 4830 times

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

Do you want to keep a limited amount of some items on the train?

I am thinking of 10 roboports, 10 chemical plants, 10 refinerys, a 5 locomotives, 10 cargo wagons, and 10 stations. You could put all of them in one chest with the inserter set to stack size one. It should not slow your load down much because that is eight full stacks and all the other stuff would take longer.

You might be able to put radars in the same chest if you only take what you need out of the train and mostly leave a full stack in the cargo wagon.

I thought about adding nuclear power stuff, but you probably do not use them often enough to waste space on the train.

gsezz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gsezz »

You can also load your train at multiple stations, each loading 12 items with stack inserters.

I also struggle with build trains. I wanted them to be only 1 wagon long, because I have only 1-wagon stackers at some places. I wanted the train to be able to deliver on demand to where ever I am, in case I need something myself. In the end I made multiple different trains, because one took to many runs to complete an outpost, when it could carry only 2 or 3 stacks of walls and so on. Now one train is carrying miners, belts, poles, chests and inserters. Another one turrets, walls, pipes. And one for robots, roboports, repair packs and so on. Having only a few items per wagon makes things a lot easier.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

You should use filter inserters with "set filter" to load the right amount of items instead of locking the wagon slots down to specific items. Then leave enough space in the wagon so nothing gets stuck.

You can also override the stack size. Loading 10 refineries doesn't need a stacksize of 12. Set it to 1 and it will load exact numbers.

And last you can use a filter inserter to remove excess items from the train. If you have the wagon slots configured for 100 iron pipes then program the filter inserter remove the 100th iron pipe (override stack size = 1). That way it will keep removing pipes till the inserter has it's hand clear and stops inserting a 100th. Basically a variant of 1 that only needs 1 item space.

Return to “Gameplay Help”