Smart train stops

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Maedros
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Smart train stops

Post by Maedros »

Hi, I want an artillery train to load ammo at a station where iron is also unloaded, is there a way for the inserter to recognize when the artillery train is at the train stop? Thank you.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Smart train stops

Post by Optera »

Set the stop to output train ids.
Then all you have to do is add a constant combinator with inverted train id's of artillery trains and set artillery inserters to only work if there is no positive id signal.

gsezz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gsezz »

Or use filter inserters and filter your train wagons. So that an iron train can only load iron, and a iron station can unload only iron. I always do that, just in case I'm sending a train to a wrong station. It also enables you to send building- or personal transportation trains to any station, without messing up its cargo or the stations buffer.

Maedros
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maedros »

Sorry Optera, I'm sure is a great method but didnt understand anything since i never used combinators. Could you explain it a little more easy? :oops:

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Train controllers are REALLY high end stuff that takes factorio experts hours or days to get right. My recommendation is: Don't worry about it. Practice simpler uses of combinators before thinking about using them for a train system.

Practice your combinator skills by building things like automatic oil cracking, storage level lights, balanced train unloaders and smart nuclear reactors. These smaller steps will help you understand how combinators and the circuit network functions.

As for the train question:

Don't bother trying to use one train station for multiple purposes. The pain and potential problems aren't worth it. Let the ore station deal with ore and build a completely separate artillery base. It may take up more space but it's very easy to handle and this way you never have to worry about crossing your streams.

Maedros
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maedros »

Thank you bobucles, I'll follow your tip. Btw I was looking for a tutorial for light storage level. Right on time! :lol:

P4pst
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by P4pst »

i use a supply train with his own trainstop. I just build it right behind the main stop of the outpost,

It starts to refill if the ammount drops below a number. To fix it will not go out always for supply, it automatically drops
more than requested in it.

Just take a look here https://imgur.com/r/factorio/aN1EV,

i guess this is the best way to refill ur outposts

Return to “Gameplay Help”