Refinery problem

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
koikinia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Refinery problem

Post by koikinia »

Hi all,
I have two twin refineries with the exact same configuration.
They both receive the same amont of water, iol, etc...they are exactly the sames.
The first one works fine but the second one not: it produces a very few amount of gas, light oil and a greater amount of heavy oil. This second refinery (this is in fact about 10 refineries and a complex logistic system) was build by robots using the plan of the first one. Is this a bug or is there something I missed or don't know?
Thx for help.

koikinia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Refinery problem

Post by koikinia »

The amounts :
1 to 5 gas
2 to 5 light oil
70 heavy oil
:-(

Manron
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Manron »

Could you post a screenshot or something? it's hard to tell what is going on by your descriptions.

is the heavy oil getting used? if any of the fluids is backing up the refineries will eventually stall.

koikinia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by koikinia »

North part:

South part:

Detail:
The left group of refineries doesn't work properly:

ETM654
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ETM654 »

Have you tried Expanding your storage for the oils? It will stop refining if you have no space for the oil

koikinia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by koikinia »

The left group doesn't work, but it's the exact copy of the right one!
The northest tank is for heavy oil (almost fuel in the both group), under it is the light oil (almost empty on the left and full on the right) and on the bottom is the gas (empty on the left, full on the right).
I verified and petrol and water are at 100 on the entrance on both groups.

koikinia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by koikinia »

Tanks of heavy oil are almost full but not completely, the logical circuit are smart enough for that. Actually I have 19k heavy oil on the left group (the one which doesn't work) and light and gas are empty. 24k heavy oil on the right group, 24k light and 24 gas, all works fine for this group.

ETM654
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ETM654 »

koikinia wrote:Tanks of heavy oil are almost full but not completely, the logical circuit are smart enough for that. Actually I have 19k heavy oil on the left group (the one which doesn't work) and light and gas are empty. 24k heavy oil on the right group, 24k light and 24 gas, all works fine for this group.
I'm not 100% sure but I do think giving Heavy oil another tank for storage will help maybe.

koikinia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by koikinia »

I put another tank of heavy oil and it didn't change anything... :-(

ETM654
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ETM654 »

koikinia wrote:I put another tank of heavy oil and it didn't change anything... :-(
Oh, well I don't know why then, I would suggest checking your underground pipe lengths or your pipe connections, just to see if one is out of place
other then that Idk im sorry, Best of luck to you!

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

The refinery set up looks good. But I do see a problem with the consumption of petroleum gas.

The way the consumption is set up you could be using 140 petroleum per second on the right and 90 on the left. But you have a full half belt of plastic bars so the four chemical plants making plastic bars are not consuming anything. There is no place to put the output, so the plant does nothing.

You can watch the inserters to see if this is correct, or put in a lane balancer to give more room for plastic bars. (You might need a lane un-balancer depending on what you do with the plastic bars later.)

When you start using enough plastic bars you might find another problem. The plastic bar recipe makes two bars per second. The red output inserters make one swing every 1.154 seconds. This will still back up the refinery. To fix it you can either put the output on the near belt and the input on the far one or use two red output inserters per plant.

koikinia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by koikinia »

Thx for this optimization tip, I change the inserters to fullfill your advices. It still not explain why the left group of refineries do not have a normal behaviour. I tried to cut all and put an alone refinery, filled with the same water and petrol and with only 3 tanks as ouputs...the results are the same: it has a very low production of liquids and gas...I'm really lost with this problem...

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Is one on regular oil processing and the other on advanced oil processing?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

place a tank for each product south of the refineries
pump all products into the tanks, it's best to keep the direct output pipes empty
connect both sides and merge it into one, creating one mass storage of oil products.
You don't have to connect the direct outputs, just the storage
Expand the conversion from heavy to light and from light to petroleum
use network connection to give lubricant a preference and to have some light/heavy oil left.
build flame thrower turrets, just because they are cool and are sufficient protection for endgame, feed them with light oil for bonus damage.

batorfly
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by batorfly »

Uploading your savegame could help.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Those left refineries seem active in the screenshot - you can see their flare which indicates they are producing. I see nothing wrong at a glance.

koikinia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by koikinia »

I finally tried to build dedicated water and petrol network from main tanks for petrol and from a deidcated water pump: It doesn't change anything so the problem is not due to the sources.
I upload the save game.
Attachments
Partie3.23.zip
Refinery pb
(10.91 MiB) Downloaded 63 times

batorfly
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by batorfly »

Maybe i'll check it, but i don't know if i will have time today.

koikinia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by koikinia »

batorfly wrote:Maybe i'll check it, but i don't know if i will have time today.
No problem, it's nice to try help ;-)
The thing I really don't understand is that I have the exact same configguration of refineries in another game and it works fine!

betrok
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by betrok »

You have different settings on power switch for heavy oil cracking, i guess it can be your problem.

Return to “Gameplay Help”