Refinery problem

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
koikinia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Refinery problem

Post by koikinia »

betrok wrote:You have different settings on power switch for heavy oil cracking, i guess it can be your problem.
I've changed it for tests, I put it back again and no changes.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

It's not jus different settings at heavy oil cracking, left one is always on regardless of its settings. Marked wire needs to be removed (it's not identical to the other one btw):
Actually similar issue happens in few places at light cracking too, it's not fully disconnected from main network. You disconnect wires with shift+left click on poles and rewire them with normal wires the same way as circuit ones.
I don't think it will solve the issue though, if anything this should cause left column to produce more petro than right one.

I think it's more the issue of unequal consumption of petro at the bottom of both columns. Didn't calculate it but it looks like left one consumes much more of it and entire column just can't keep up producing more, whereas right one produces more than it needs and gets filled up. I think simply connecting both bottom petroleum tanks would solve the main issue.

It seems to be working as intended after I've done all I've mentioned above.

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

I did not look at the circuits because I am not good at them.

I did calculate the petroleum numbers.

You are making 103 petroleum gas per second.

The left column has two sulfur plants with three speed 1 modules each. They try to consume 120 petroleum per second. There are also two plants with no modules that want to consume 75 per second but have no gas. The petroleum tanks should be empty because you use much more than you make.

The right column has one plastic bar plant that is trying to consume 25 petroleum per second. There are also three plants that are idle because they have no place to put any output. The two sulfur plants consume 75 per second. This gives an excess production of 3 petroleum per second which would take a long time to fill up the tank.

To determine why the right petroleum tank is full we need to look at history, which only you can tell us. How long did the refinery run before you completed your red circuit line? When did you put the sulfur plants on the right refinery line? That should give us an idea of how full the tank should be.

I am not sure connecting the two output lines would help because you have enough production for your current usage, but it probably would not help.

koikinia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by koikinia »

Thx for your answers. So I have to build more refineries or more petrol pipe or both?

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

Do you have enough sulfur and plastic?

If so, you do not need to do anything.

If you do not have enough sulfur, put productivity modules in the left sulfur plants and maybe a speed module or a beacon.

If you do not have enough plastic, put the modules in the left sulfur plants and turn off the right ones.

Some productivity modules in the refinery/cracking/coal liquification plant might also be needed, but not unless you start running short on the outputs.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

I would just rebuild entire refinery to be honest, just make it single oil input, single petro output and so on.

koikinia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by koikinia »

Thx all for your answers. First I reduced the needs and once all was well balanced I added some production building and all is good now.
I have to learn on fluids rules I think.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I can definitely tell you what is your problem.

Both sides are working totally independently so they will have their own ups and downs. This will explain why one might be working at some point and another not.
Btw on your screenshot both sides are working properly without any visible problems.
However as already mentioned right side has its plastic output backed up which would explain full gas tank compared to actively working left side.

To fix all your issues easily I would recommend interconnecting output tanks (heavy to heavy, light 2 light, gas 2 gas) on both sides so they will join their efforts and work in sync. This will be more effective in your case.
I have to admit that left side is a bit too weak to supply full load of surfur production so you might want to expand it a bit.
Also to make refinery output more effective I would recommend using pump on output tanks to ensure pressure on consumers as near-empty tank will cause staggering input on consumers. The pump MUST be directly connected to the tank to ensure required pressure.

You should also make sure your light/heavy oil tanks are at least half empty at all times as they might cause output overflow on refineries. If your chemical plants are not catching up cracking oils into gas you should expand cracking a bit.

Return to “Gameplay Help”