I need Help with a Dual way Intersection

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
ETM654
Inserter
Inserter

I need Help with a Dual way Intersection

Post by ETM654 »

I need help, I want to have two trains go both ways on one track

track1: left and right
track2: up and down

I've tried for about and hour to figure out how to put the signals to make it so track 1 doesn't crash into track 2 and visa versa
but when i do, i cant have the tracks be dual ways, if anyone could help me out I would appreciate it!
Attachments
20180308133741_1.jpg
20180308133741_1.jpg (861.85 KiB) Viewed 3750 times

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: I need Help with a Dual way Intersection

Post by impetus maximus »

here is how you should signal them.
2way_crossing.png
2way_crossing.png (178.32 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
the chain signals keeps the train from stopping in the crossing.
when the rail signal in front of it is green the train can proceed.

also when using tracks in both directions there has to be a signals across from each other or it will turn into a 1 way track.

[edit]also, welcome to the forums! :)

ETM654
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ETM654 »

impetus maximus wrote:here is how you should signal them.
the chain signals keeps the train from stopping in the crossing.
when the rail signal in front of it is green the train can proceed.

also when using tracks in both directions there has to be a signals across from each other or it will turn into a 1 way track.

[edit]also, welcome to the forums! :)
Thank you so much! :D

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

you are most welcome. ;)

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

I would suggest that all the signals be chain signals for reasons for future expansion of the network. With 2-way rails, you have to design them so that no train can enter the 2-way section while another is anywhere in that 2-way section (by section, I mean series of connected blocks of rail, which is intend to be traversed in either direction).

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

The signalling depends on how many trains you actually have on this rail section.
1 train on each rail (just a track dedicated to a dualhomed train): 4 normal signals.
Multiple trains on each rail: Chain signals on all sides, including the sections with an entry into the track leading to this crossing. This will prevent a deadlock by having trains come from opposite directions and facing eachother on the cross intersection.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Aeternus wrote:The signalling depends on how many trains you actually have on this rail section.
1 train on each rail (just a track dedicated to a dualhomed train): 4 normal signals.
Multiple trains on each rail: Chain signals on all sides, including the sections with an entry into the track leading to this crossing. This will prevent a deadlock by having trains come from opposite directions and facing eachother on the cross intersection.
But if there is only one train then chain signals behave the same as full signals. Since they cost the same it makes sense to always place chain signals on two-way tracks except for where they split into 2 single way tracks.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

mrvn wrote:
Aeternus wrote:The signalling depends on how many trains you actually have on this rail section.
But if there is only one train then chain signals behave the same as full signals. Since they cost the same it makes sense to always place chain signals on two-way tracks except for where they split into 2 single way tracks.
Any block where a train is intended to actually stop at a train station should be preceded by a normal signal at the entrance (and a chain for the exit). This typically is done at 'terminus' stations, which are usually a short bit of 1-way rail in an otherwise 2-way system that loops back on itself, so that the train servicing that stop can use the 1-way rail to turnabout and return from whence it came.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Frightning wrote:
mrvn wrote:
Any block where a train is intended to actually stop at a train station should be preceded by a normal signal at the entrance (and a chain for the exit). This typically is done at 'terminus' stations, which are usually a short bit of 1-way rail in an otherwise 2-way system that loops back on itself, so that the train servicing that stop can use the 1-way rail to turnabout and return from whence it came.
That is actually uneccessary. The train station itself is enough to allow a train to enter the station with chain signals. It actually prevents any other train to path through the station while a train is present. You only need a full signal for a waiting bay. Unless you use train stops in the waiting bay too.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Single rails can only handle a single train. Signals only matter for more than one train.

The general rule for chain signals is:
- End the junction with a full signal
- work backwards
- every time a rail line crosses or splits, place a chain signal.
- if there's a split or crossing that won't accept a chain signal, move rails around until you can

Once you get the hang of that you'll be building 8 lane junctions like a champ.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

why are we still discussing this? :| ETM654 sounded like they only had 2 trains on 2 tracks that where crossing each other.
that has been solved.

ETM654
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ETM654 »

impetus maximus wrote:why are we still discussing this? :| ETM654 sounded like they only had 2 trains on 2 tracks that where crossing each other.
that has been solved.
Yeah that was the problem, I don't mind the convo about the trains though there informative, I personally just have a single train on a single track to go from point A to point B, I don't use a complex system of trains, sounds like a fun idea for another save though! :D

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobucles wrote:Single rails can only handle a single train. Signals only matter for more than one train.

The general rule for chain signals is:
- End the junction with a full signal
- work backwards
- every time a rail line crosses or splits, place a chain signal.
- if there's a split or crossing that won't accept a chain signal, move rails around until you can

Once you get the hang of that you'll be building 8 lane junctions like a champ.
The "End the junction with a full signal" while often right is generally wrong. The rest are just tips.

The general rule for signals are:

- Place chain signals at the entry and exit of every rail line cross, split, merge, turnaround, whatever knot you fancy.
- Don't place chain signals inside turnarounds or anything that potentially has a way that crosses their own tracks. (bug in game)
- Replace chain signals with full signals if a train fits between the signal and the next one, i.e. if a train is allowed to stop and wait after the signal. Never on bi-directional tracks.
- Add full signals periodically on long stretches without any signals. Not on bi-directional tracks.

Return to “Gameplay Help”