Question about walls and biters

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Flubberj
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Question about walls and biters

Post by Flubberj »

So currently I’m running a super low pollution factory and I’ve gone out and killed a few biter nests but I haven’t made any extraordinary efforts to deal with them. I’m transitioning from steam to solar power and currently looking at walls to wall off territory for myself. My question is if I build walls around my base and a group of biters decides to settle near it, will they attack if my pollution cloud never reaches them? I know you can defend them with gun turrets and the like but I’m curious to if I could simply wall off a very large area, slaughter the bugs inside, and then not worry about them until I want to expand past my wall (assuming my pollution cloud never reaches another nest to provoke an attack)

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Question about walls and biters

Post by Loewchen »

Yes, they will attack you without pollution reaching them.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Bugs will only attack you in 4 cases:
  • 1. Your pollution cloud reaches them
    2. They attempt to expand into your territory
    3. You go near them
    4. You attack them (including with artillery)
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

If biters are hit by a pollution cloud they get trigered and try to attack the source (boilers, smelters etc)
When their path is blocked they go into rage mode and attack everything around them.

Your walls need a defense line, sooner or later.
Artillery with some range upgrades can keep biters far enough from your base, so that they are out of reach for pollution clouds. Depending on the terrain.

Return to “Gameplay Help”