Stuck signalling this train junction

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
bigja99
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Stuck signalling this train junction

Post by bigja99 »

I feel like this should be pretty simple but no matter how I add signals to this junction I can't' get the trains to work. When I add signals to this junction, both trains sit in the stations and repeat the "no path" warnings. Only when I remove the signals do the trains (well, one of them) set off on the route.
I've tried adding normal signals on the right side entry to the junction from all three directions but it doesn't work. Can anyone show me how to signal this junction please? It's the one at the top of the image with the two entry tracks from the two outposts and one exit from the stations going into it.

bigja99
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Stuck signalling this train junction

Post by bigja99 »

Appreciate the response and will read the post, however i've watched a couple of videos on signalling and still, for some reason this junction isnt working. I've made a block out of the junction part by putting signals coming into it from all directions - didnt work. Then I saw something about a rule where you do a chain signal going in and a normal signal coming out, so i tried that and still it didnt work. So perhaps I've setup the junction incorrectly somehow? Don't know but it's a bit frustrating and probably such a simple problem I'm missing

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

You say "this junction" is not working but in your whole screenshot only 3 signals are shown and there are several junctions without any signals at all.
Telling you where to put signals does not really help you, if you do not understand why you should put signals there. I recommend completing the in-game tutorial first.
As general guideline, ignore chain signals for now, and look at the simple mechanic of signals. A signal separates the track in two blocks, in ever block can only be one train, if a block contains a train, all entrances to the block are signalled red.

cvkurt
Inserter
Inserter

Post by cvkurt »

As noted already, looks like your junction (at the top) is missing signals. Assuming the rails to the north and east have one-way only, then you need 4 signals. 2 chains for each input and 2 regular for each output. If the trains are coming from the east and leaving to the north, you could get rid of the junction completely. If the trains are coming from the north and leaving to the east, you could replace it with a simple crossing (or reverse the loop or make other changes to remove the crossing). If you actually have two way traffic coming from the north and east, it needs more work :-).

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Post your save and I'll show you how to signal it.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Gameplay Help”