Biters Teleporting, Or Coming from the ground?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Biters Teleporting, Or Coming from the ground?

Post by Kane »

Not sure what is going on... This has happen 2-3 times tonight maybe more. For some reason the Biters are not coming from their base their just appearing in my base all the sudden. Best part I been streaming all night so I was able to easily catch one issue it was not the most clearest but take my word the biters just show up out of nowhere.

I'm using DyTech but I don't think they cause teleporting hacking son of a B**** Biters lol

Opps the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7MnXbmd0XE

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Biters Teleporting, Or Coming from the ground?

Post by DaveMcW »

They snuck around all your other buildings to target the boilers. You didn't have any turrets in their path to catch them.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Damn not sure why their AI feels smarter today. I guess that is what happen. Not sure why they went all around. They seem to keep sneaking around a lot heh.

Any tips on what they tend to target how to figure out their paths etc. I mean yes I see their base I put a turret between it does catch them but sometimes they go all rogue and crap lol.

The time before they went in the center of my base touching nothing but my radar lol.

Is there like a high threat target list? :)

Thanks

Martc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Martc »

There will be probably new biters base around. So check your pollution radius if there is any new base.

And they target radars and high pollution generators, like steam engines and miners.

roothorick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by roothorick »

We can take some educated guesses at how biter assault AI works based on hints in the changelog.

First of all, there's a "circle of rage". I don't know how it's established or calculated, but it tends to be centered on high concentrations of active, polluting buildings. EVERYTHING in this circle is a target, even rocks and trees. Biters will IGNORE non-military entities (more on that in a sec) outside this circle, unless their pathfinding fails. (Which is why you'll sometimes find a random biter wave going to town on a bunch of poor innocent trees!) I don't actually know what they do should they manage to flatten the entire circle. It's possible the circle simply increases in diameter as they run low on targets.

This means they'll happily traverse your entire base, touching absolutely nothing, to wreak havoc on your power plant on the far side -- and only THEN will you get the attack notification, making them appear to "teleport".

Secondly, there's a whitelist of "military" entities. I don't know the full list, but it includes turrets, walls, trains, logistic/construction robots, radars, and of course, the player. If a biter comes within a certain distance of a military entity, it will drop whatever it's doing and attack that entity; nearby biters will follow suit; the one exception appears to be if they're already within range of and have focused on a specific target. This check is active at all times, even if they're idly wandering around.

(They won't specifically target steam engines, as they're non-polluting and non-military. But they DO target boilers, and as a result, steam engines tend to wind up in the rage circle.)

Return to “Gameplay Help”