Specify belt throuput

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Kitharodos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Specify belt throuput

Post by Kitharodos »

So let's say you have a fully compressed belt and you want to pull out of it exactly 500 items per minute. How do you do that?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Specify belt throuput

Post by DaveMcW »

Max throughput of a yellow belt is 800 items per minute. So you want it to run 5/8ths of the time.

Set up a 8 tick clock, attach it to the belt, and set the belt to enable if the clock is ≤ 5.

Aidiakapi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aidiakapi »

[see revised post below]
Last edited by Aidiakapi on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

If your clock uses all red wires, the constant will leak through and make it 1-8.

Kitharodos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kitharodos »

Thank you all for the help. 500 was just an example. Im building a factory with belt pulling by demand. Im trying to learn how to make this things so I can adjust a different value according to my needs

Aidiakapi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aidiakapi »

Kitharodos wrote:Thank you all for the help. 500 was just an example. Im building a factory with belt pulling by demand. Im trying to learn how to make this things so I can adjust a different value according to my needs
So the belts have this throughput:
Yellow: 800 items/min
Red: 1600 items/min
Blue: 2400 items/min

If you want to have target_throughput items/min coming through you take the belt tier that supplies at least that much, and then take a fraction of target_throughput/belt_throughput, then you simplify the fraction.

Example:
You want to transport 1100 items/min.
You need at least a red belt.
The fraction is 1100/1600, or simplified: 11/16.

That means you want the belt to run 11 out of 16 frames, and be frozen for 5 out of 16 frames.

DaveMcW wrote:If your clock uses all red wires, the constant will leak through and make it 1-8.
Yeah, my bad, I should've taken that into account.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

if you want to limit the number of items on a belt you could use a memory cell (left arithmetic combinator) to track it.
the right combinator subtracts what is taken off. technically it multiplies by -1. :P
example image
example blueprint string
this example uses the inserter to count, but you could also use a wired belt for counting/stopping.
you could set the inserter to enable if say copper plate is < C. wire a constant combinator up and you can dial how many you want.
i did this with my 'dial a color per side' sushi belt insanity. :lol:
over engineered sushi belt

Kitharodos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kitharodos »

What if I have an UNCOMPRESSED belt which is also not that stable in throuput, and I want to pull out of that an exact amount as well? The amount I want to pull per minute will always be less than the belt's throuput but the throuput will not always be a steady price

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Kitharodos wrote:The amount I want to pull per minute will always be less than the belt's throuput
Then it will fully compress as it goes through your filter.

Vegemeister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Vegemeister »

Alternately, use feedback. Have an each=each+0 integrator. 1 item per tick equals 60 items per second. so multiply the signal from a pulse read belt by -60. Send that to the integrator. Also send a positive signal from a constant combinator to the integrator. Allow the belt to flow when the integrator output > 0. Take the output from the input side of the integrator, in order to reduce the delay inside the feedback loop.

The constant from the constant combinator gives you your flow rate in items/second. If you want fractional items/second, multiply by something larger than -60.

Example:

Code: Select all

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

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

If you have fully compressed belts and you want a specific number of items in a time period, you could also use splitters. You can get 2 ^ -N of a belt by using an N layer splitter, then loop the outputs you don't want back into the first splitter and prioritize the loop input on the splitter so it does not back up. You don't need to actually build all the splitter layers, as if both outputs are going to combine to be pulled off, or combined to be recycled, you won't have any issues.

Here is a simple blueprint sting for 5/8ths. A 1/2 lane and 1/8 lane go to output, and a 1/4 lane and 1/8 lane return to input. If there is backpressure on the belt, as in you are not pulling stuff off at the given rate, the belt will back up to the splitters and you will end up with a buffer of belt storage on the line. If you can't have that you can have that output loop back to the input also.

PS: Turns out a bit more complicated due to current compression mechanics not compressing during side loading, so balancing is required so I corrected the blueprint.

Code: Select all

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
Attachments
5 in 8 splitter.jpg
5 in 8 splitter.jpg (233.54 KiB) Viewed 4265 times

Return to “Gameplay Help”