Filtered Storage Chest versus Passive Provider Chest

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Filtered Storage Chest versus Passive Provider Chest

Post by Durabys »

Please assist me in figuring out where I should use the latter and where the latter. I would like examples of usage. I really see no difference between using one or the other. Thanks.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Filtered Storage Chest versus Passive Provider Chest

Post by Engimage »

Storage chest can be used by construction bots to store deconstructed items, or as a target for storing items from active provider chests so your chest can occasionally fill with trash and not expected items.
Passive provider only provides items which are put into it using inserters.

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

PacifyerGrey wrote:Storage chest can be used by construction bots to store deconstructed items, or as a target for storing items from active provider chests so your chest can occasionally fill with trash and not expected items.
What would be the example of each others use?

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Tomik wrote:
PacifyerGrey wrote:Storage chest can be used by construction bots to store deconstructed items, or as a target for storing items from active provider chests so your chest can occasionally fill with trash and not expected items.
What would be the example of each others use?
You can use passive provider as an output for an assembler to ensure only produced items end up inside the chest. Be it for further production or end product for player supply.

Storage chests are mostly used as a trash can storage for extra products on your base. Filter on it can help organize storage a bit opposed to a random filling which bots tend to do when you trash or deconstruct items.

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

PacifyerGrey wrote: You can use passive provider as an output for an assembler to ensure only produced items end up inside the chest. Be it for further production or end product for player supply.
This. Why cannot this be switched for a Filtered Storage Chest. Storage Chests have now an item window that allows them to be filtered.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Tomik wrote:
PacifyerGrey wrote: You can use passive provider as an output for an assembler to ensure only produced items end up inside the chest. Be it for further production or end product for player supply.
This. Why cannot this be switched for a Filtered Storage Chest. Storage Chests have now an item window that allows them to be filtered.
As I already said. Storage chest will be used for deconstruction and trash as well. So it can take items from bots and provider can't. With filer enabled there is no actual difference for you as a concept.

Return to “Gameplay Help”