IS this a bug? Trains won't pathfind backwards

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
PTTG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

IS this a bug? Trains won't pathfind backwards

Post by PTTG »

So before I write up an actual bug report, I thought I'd ask if this is a known issue and/or intended feature.

I'm trying to set up a short rail line (~100 tiles) directly connecting my coal mine to my power plant. I want the train to shuttle back and forth instead of turning around, but it's only comfortable driving forward.

To reproduce, build a straight segment of tracks approximately 100 tiles long. Build a normal station at either end. Ensure that the train can stop at either station. Now, program the train to have a looping schedule stopping at first one and then the other.

Expected behavior: The train drives backwards and forwards.

Observed behavior: The train drives forwards, then stops at the forward station and says "no path."

I can of course build turning loops, but those loops are very large and must be at both ends. I'd rather not bother.

HammerPiano
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: IS this a bug? Trains won't pathfind backwards

Post by HammerPiano »

It is a feature
If you want a train to go forward and backward, you need a double headed train. (L locomotive, C crago wagon)
L-C-L
Just make sure that each train on the end faces different direction.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to gameplay help
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Also make sure you have signals on both sides. Directly opposite each other so they are connected. The signals tell the train in which direction it can go.

Return to “Gameplay Help”