Turn on Nuclear Power as needed

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Cellfire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Turn on Nuclear Power as needed

Post by Cellfire »

Hi

Is there a way to turn on and off nuclear power as I need it?

My base ranges from 5GW to 11GW and I have 72 reactors to power this.

As power demands go up and down is there some logic or something I can read to decide how amny of the 72 need to be turned on?

Not sure if this can do what I want yet.
Currently I have 12 tanks all linked together with wires to get a total steam amount. The tanks are not linked to share steam in any way. This is trying to turn on and off inserters as it gets lower or high. It seems to just be turn reactors off as steam runs out rather then by how much power I need.

This is the reactor I am using https://pastebin.com/74Q8XxaN

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Turn on Nuclear Power as needed

Post by mrvn »

Read the amount of steam in the tanks as a measure of how much energy is being used. Then connect that to the inserters adding fuel. If the steam level drops then you need to fire up more reactors. If its full you can turn some off.

Note: Heat pipes store a lot of heat. There can be a long delay between inserting fuel and producing steam again. On the other hand you can produce a lot of extra heat even if the steam tank is full. But there is no way to measure the temperature of the heat pipe or reactors in vanilla.

PS: you might want more than that ocasional tank. How about one for every row of heat exchangers?

Return to “Gameplay Help”