Confusing rotate factory pipe bind conflict

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
lakecityransom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Confusing rotate factory pipe bind conflict

Post by lakecityransom »

For 30 hours I played a game with R as rotate and also as get into vehicle.

I read that you could rotate the input pipe on assembly machines after placing/choosing recipe, however this conflicts with R being bound to something like get in car.

Its a minor bug and could be considered bad binding, but I was mislead by rotate working for everything else so I wanted to report it.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Confusing rotate factory pipe bind conflict

Post by Koub »

Imho, not a bug : by default, I don't recall "enter vehicle" shares the same binding as rotation. And bad binding by user can't be considered a bug.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Get into vehicle is press enter while standing near a vehicle by default. If keybinds are conflicting, it's your fault.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

That's what I thought.
[Koub] Moved to gameplay help
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

lakecityransom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lakecityransom »

Wow, pretty snarky the both of you. Already predicted nasty responses. Maybe re-read what I said about how this might trick someone into thinking they have a valid bind set instead of shooting me down.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Furthermore it is still a bug. Why does the game let you bind two things to the same key at all?

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

mrvn wrote:Why does the game let you bind two things to the same key at all?
Because usually there is no reason not to let you. Mods make use of keys usually used by vanilla, for example "e" to close custom gui. This would be impossible if you couldn't bind the same key to two or more controls.

The problem here is just that using the same key for enter vehicle and rotation works, except when trying to rotate an assembler.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Then maybe key bindings should have an extra flag that says if a binding is generic or overrides normal bindings when condition <string> is active (e.g. dialog xyz is open). Then all generic bindings could be checked to be unique. And all bindings with the same condition could also be forced to be unique.

OBXandos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by OBXandos »

Maybe I am slightly confused here. On OPs keybinding's they use R to rotate pipes and belts. They also use it to get into vehicles. This seems like its perfectly fine provided you aren't next to both a pipe and vehicle at the same time. So what actually happens when you try to rotate an assembly machine? You can't enter it like a vehicle so I would assume it should rotate it.

If pressing R on an assembly machine does nothing then it's a bug.
If pressing R on an assembly machine opens the recipe window then it might be a bug.
If pressing R on an assembly machine does something besides those two then I have no idea what it might be called.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

The thing is that there isn't really a good way to solve this. There are quite a few things that can be bound to the same key and still work (connect train cars and pick up items from ground, for example, or focus item search and production statistics), but many that could cause conflicts as well. There are a ridiculous number of combinations of things you could keybing, so simply making a list of things that don't work together isn't really a viable solution, and not allowing any two things to be bound to the same key would remove some of that flexibility. And then mods make everything even more complicated.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Gameplay Help”