Easiest way to move huge structures?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Rylant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Easiest way to move huge structures?

Post by Rylant »

I imagine that there is no mod which will move huge structures over like 6 spaces? If there isn’t a mod like that, there needs to be lol.

I have a huge store of ore, which has like 80 million ore in it, and I need to move it... the problem is, that it is pretty huge. And I want to move it over like 6 to 10 spaces. The problem is, that the huge space that it currently is in, is also in a large part of where i want it to go. So, to move it, I will have to deconstruct it and move the contents and materials somewhere else, and then build it up again when it is fully deconstructed. For tens of thousands of chests, containing tens of millions of ore, and the thousands of inserters, belts, power poles, etc, I imagine that it will probably take days to do that; certainly, many many hours. So, thoughts on the easiest way to do this? I have actually considered starting over again, lol.

Rylant

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Easiest way to move huge structures?

Post by Zavian »

The easiest way to move something like that is probably to shoot/grenade/(insert your weapon of choice here), then rebuild it on the cleared space.

Another alternative is placing a couple of new rows of chests and using stack inserters to move it.

But it does leave me wondering why you have that much ore stockpiled? You are almost always better off leaving it in the ground until you need it.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

There is no simple and straightforward way to move a part of your factory including full chests. While you can blueprint the section you want to move, then deconstruct it, and rebuild it further, you'll need to empty all the containers. For that, you'll need a shitload of roboports, bots, storage chests, and some power.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Sustaining a few thousand per second with bots isn't hard over distances like that, clear out space for maybe fifty roboports, drop a couple thousand robots in them, put storage chests in the new-storage space, switch the old-storage chests to active providers and you're golden. Yeah. for 80M that'd take a few hours but it sounds like a lot doesn't actually need to move.

So if that's still too slow you could script the restock direct from the console, (edit: corrected 'on' typo to 'on_')

Code: Select all

/c _G.on=function(s,f) script.on_event(defines.events['on_'..s],f) end
    /c _G.F=game.forces.player _G.inserted=0
    /c on('marked_for_deconstruction',function(ev) e=ev.entity e.cancel_deconstruction(F) inserted=inserted+e.insert{name='copper-ore',count=1e9} end)
and wave a decon planner over the chests you want to fill, then

/c on('marked_for_deconstruction',nil) game.print(inserted)
and shoot the old storage or similarly script the destruction with something like

/c on('marked_for_deconstruction',function(ev)e=ev.entity inserted=inserted-e.get_item_count() e.clear_items_inside() end)
There's a "doc-html" folder in your game install that shows the complete lua API, lua is easy to learn, the `_G` is a lua feature, also the console is effectively a mod, you can store console stuff across save and reload in the game's persisted-per-mod `global`, so

global.on=on
now and when reloading the game

/c for k,v in next,global do _G[k]=v end
. Be selective about what you persist.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Unfortunately, bots are about your best option. If there is somme overlap (which it sounds like ther emight be) then don't deconstruct the overlap, as that will decrease the amount of work your bots need to do significantly.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Gameplay Help”