Train signal help

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
fiby
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Train signal help

Post by fiby »

Hi, I am having difficulty running the trains.

refer to image for details

A = Iron pick up
B = Ore drop off, currently 2 iron and 1 copper, only the iron is in use.
C = Waiting area before station access

Currently I would like the trains to wait in at C before they enter A - however this is not happening.

Can someone please advise how best to place the signals to achieve this.

Fiby
Attachments
pic 2.png
pic 2.png (3.93 MiB) Viewed 2733 times
pic 1.png
pic 1.png (312.22 KiB) Viewed 2733 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Train signal help

Post by Loewchen »

Currently I would like the trains to wait in at C before they enter A - however this is not happening.
Not sure why you want a train to go from C to A, I would assume the trains go A->C->B
Replace all rail signals on the paths from C to B with chain signals, if you meant B instead A.

fiby
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fiby »

Thank you Loewchen, you are right I do want them to wait at C before they enter B

I have changed all signals between C > B however I still have trains waiting at the entrance to the station, stopping any services being able to use the other stations when it frees up.

I've attached further image with changes.
Attachments
pic 3.png
pic 3.png (4.51 MiB) Viewed 2718 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

I do not understand how this can happen, post the save file please.

LiborTheOne
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LiborTheOne »

What is baffling me is why are all exit signals red.
On mini map, there seems to be no train that should block them.
So if I'm not missing something it may be more serious routing issue.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

The reason that all the exit signals are red, is that all the traina want to exit onto the same block, and that block is occupied by the iron ore train that has left the waiting area early. I don't see why that train didn't wait until a station was empty. It is theoretically possible that it decided it wanted to go to another unload station that is not visible, entered the first block, then decided to repath to the closer station. Where it is currently, it has no other potential unload stations so it can't decide to choose another path.

Some more chain signals on the horizontal track, roughly in line with end of the unload stations will solve the red exit signals. But strictly speaking they should not be necessary, unless you do have other unload stations that could result in a train repathing after leaves the waiting area.

I'm going to suggests reading a tutorial on signalling and junctions viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18621 .

Mimos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mimos »

I think having chain signals without additional normal signals at the entrance of the station is weird, because then the chain signals have no normal signals to refer to.

On the screenshot of the map I can see some additional signals hidden behind the trains, maybe you can post a screenshot where these signals are visible? Or even better post the save file as Loewchen suggested.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Entrance signal to the station should be normal signal, exit signal should be chain. This was correct on your first screenshot.
However you should have a signal right under every station on the horizontal line, a chain one (was normal on first screenshot and was placed a bit to the left) but it should be under every station.
Exit signal from the whole unloading to the left should be normal as well.

You can also leave all horizontal line a single block (not placing any signals on it) for even more stable result but you should manually clear out this block from trains for it to start working properly.

While it is theoretically possible to make it work I should strongly discourage you from using such design. On every station (be it single or multistop one) incoming trains should never be able to block leaving trains. This will lead to deadlocks pretty often and also this limits the whole station throughput causing severe delays.

Try to design it so that trains exit on the other side of the station (no matter if you have double- or singleheaded trains). You can leave outpost stations as Terminus but unloading stations are much more effective as RoRo.

Return to “Gameplay Help”