Circuit Conditions - Train Station help

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
ritzcrackers
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Circuit Conditions - Train Station help

Post by ritzcrackers »

Hi there,

I have a railway station and I am trying to get an inserter to load some ammo and some repair packs, but only if they are below a certain amount. I'm using decider combinators to output a signal A = 1, if either condition is true. However it doesn't seem to be working, though I think it should. Can anybody lend their expertise? I've attached photos so you can see exactly what I am doing.

The train just sits at its stop and does not load.

I'm going a bit nuts with this as it did work once, but now it just fails to work at all! I feel like I a missing something very simple.

Cheers,

ritz
20171015130018_1.jpg
20171015130018_1.jpg (179.94 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
20171015130013_1.jpg
20171015130013_1.jpg (144.99 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
20171015130022_1.jpg
20171015130022_1.jpg (109.32 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
20171015130024_1.jpg
20171015130024_1.jpg (120.46 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
20171015130026_1.jpg
20171015130026_1.jpg (205.38 KiB) Viewed 6218 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Circuit Conditions - Train Station help

Post by Loewchen »

Post the save please.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Both conditions are true, so both combinators are outputing 1 on A, which if I remember correctly will mean the inserter recieves a signal of 2 on A. Since this isn't equal to 1, it is off. I think what you want to do is a bit more complicated with setting the filter and stuff.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

vortex1967
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vortex1967 »

Hi ritzcrackers,

An easy solution would be:

Decider Combinators:
Piercing Round combinator – change output from A to Piercing Round.
Repair Pack combinator – change output from A to Repair Pack.

Stack Inserter:
Replace with a Stack Filter Inserter – change 'Mode of operation' to “Set Filters”

Now when the train arrives only the item that is low will be loaded.
If both items are low then each will be loaded in turn.

If the wagon has it's contents limited via the red cross, set the quantity of each item in the decider combinators
to 15 – 20 items less than the stack size for that item(if your not wanting more than a stack, so the inserter isn't left holding an item).
If the wagon doesn't have it's contents limited via the red cross, remember not to set the locomotive to manual mode
or add another wagon(train will switch to manual mode)while the train is parked at the stop or the wagon will fill up.

ritzcrackers
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ritzcrackers »

Thanks everybody!
vortex1967 wrote:Hi ritzcrackers,<br style="text-shadow: none;"><br style="text-shadow: none;">An easy solution would be:<br style="text-shadow: none;"><br style="text-shadow: none;">Decider Combinators:<br style="text-shadow: none;">Piercing Round combinator – change output from A to Piercing Round.<br style="text-shadow: none;">Repair Pack combinator – change output from A to Repair Pack.<br style="text-shadow: none;"><br style="text-shadow: none;">Stack Inserter:<br style="text-shadow: none;">Replace with a Stack Filter Inserter – change 'Mode of operation' to “Set Filters”<br style="text-shadow: none;"><br style="text-shadow: none;">Now when the train arrives only the item that is low will be loaded.<br style="text-shadow: none;">If both items are low then each will be loaded in turn.<br style="text-shadow: none;"><br style="text-shadow: none;">If the wagon has it's contents limited via the red cross, set the quantity of each item in the decider combinators<br style="text-shadow: none;">to 15 – 20 items less than the stack size for that item(if your not wanting more than a stack, so the inserter isn't left holding an item).<br style="text-shadow: none;">If the wagon doesn't have it's contents limited via the red cross, remember not to set the locomotive to manual mode<br style="text-shadow: none;">or add another wagon(train will switch to manual mode)while the train is parked at the stop or the wagon will fill up.
I ended up taking this approach and it works better than I had originally envisioned.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Jap2.0 wrote:Both conditions are true, so both combinators are outputing 1 on A, which if I remember correctly will mean the inserter recieves a signal of 2 on A. Since this isn't equal to 1, it is off. I think what you want to do is a bit more complicated with setting the filter and stuff.
This
You have to replace enabled condition on an inserters with A > 0 instead of A=1 as if both conditions are true both combinators output A=1 giving a total value of A=2.

vortex1967
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vortex1967 »

Hi all,

Sorry in advanced for the long post (inside the spoiler).

When there are multiple items in a wagon and in a chest with one stack/filter inserter inserting into the wagon.
Setting both Decider Combinators(D/C's) to output 'A' with a value of '1' when an item in the wagon the D/C's are
detecting is below a set quantity (as in ritzcracker's OP set up) has the following problems (inside the spoiler).
Problems with outputting value of A

ritzcrackers
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ritzcrackers »

vortex1967 wrote:Hi all,

Sorry in advanced for the long post (inside the spoiler).....

Hey vortex1967, thanks for delving deeper in to this! you've further increased my understanding of this whole thing with you explanation and experimentation.

Return to “Gameplay Help”