Beginner's Guide to Robotics

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
squidstar1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Beginner's Guide to Robotics

Post by squidstar1 »

Hello, my name is Harvey.

I'm not here to create a beginner's guide to robotics, I'm here to start one, as, unfortuantly, I am a complete noob with robotics.

I've got a couple robots of each kind, a roboport and a couple chests of the kind.

Thing is, I have no idea how to make them go. I would like to know how, as robotics are my jam!

Thanks,

-Harv
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Beginner's Guide to Robotics

Post by Mangledpork »

Right, so there are four kinds of chest and i'll go through the two basic ones: The passive provider and the requester.
Anything in a passive provider chest is accessible by the logistics robots and they will use it to satisfy requests.
The requester chest, and also your inventory, has a logistics menu (for your inventory it's on the right).
To set up a request: select one of the squares, chose an object and use the slider to chose the number of that item. The logistic system will then attempt to meet that request and will do so for as long as the request exists and there is an empty space in the chest/inventory.
As an example, I set my inventory to request 500 iron plates, and have a provider chest being filled with iron from my main belt. This means that if there is less than 500 iron plates in my inventory at any time and an empty space exists, the logistics robots will go to the provider chest, take as much iron as they can (or how much I want if it's less), and will then fly to me and deposit it in my inventory. By setting up this system for a bunch of different items, I never need to manually restock my inventory.
Also, I have battery production leading to a provider chest, and elsewhere a requester chest with two spaces and a request for a stack of batteries. The bots will always try to keep the requester supplied as it's emptied into assemblers. You can have one chest request multiple different items to feed certain production too.
The logistic bots operate in the orange area around roboports (the green area is for construction bots) and you need to connect multiple roboport zones together to extend the area (a yellow dotted line shows a connection).
I think I covered all the basics there. Just ask if there's anything you don't get.

squidstar1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by squidstar1 »

Hello,

Thanks for the help Pork, I'll get back to you when I've researched the Technologies I need for all that, as I haven't got an automated Science Pack 3 line running yet. :S

Thanks again,

-Harv
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

squidstar1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by squidstar1 »

Hello,

Ah ha, yes! I have set up some sort of system to automate Sceince pack 3's using Logistics Robots. Thanks again Pork.

-Harv

Return to “Gameplay Help”