insert fuel only in locomotive but not wagon

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
indomit
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

insert fuel only in locomotive but not wagon

Post by indomit »

Is there any mod or method to set inserter configuration that it only insert stuff into locomotive fuel inventory but not into the other cells/wagons/chests?

I know, when your train is in automatic mode, and if any wagon stops near fuel inserter, it won't insert fuel into wagon, but in manual mode it didn't work the same.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: insert fuel only in locomotive but not wagon

Post by Loewchen »

You can filter the wagon inventory to not allow fuel.

indomit
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by indomit »

Loewchen wrote:You can filter the wagon inventory to not allow fuel.
Yes, I know it, but sometimes I have misc stuff in wagons and empty slots and I do not want to filter it.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

no-fuel-filter.jpg
no-fuel-filter.jpg (203.29 KiB) Viewed 3758 times

indomit
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by indomit »

DaveMcW, can you explain how it's works, please? Tried to use it, but it didn't load fuel into locomotive.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

I don't think there's any way for an inserter to tell the difference between a locomotive and a cargo wagon. Inserters are dumb beasts, they know whether there's items in front of them, and whether what's behind them wants anything. Locomotives want fuel, so inserters loading locomotives will load fuel, inserters loading cargo wagons will load whatever they want. A mod to disable/enable inserters when trains arrive based on the carriage behind them is doable but ewww.

With some minor constraints you can get flexible train handling now, Add locomotives in pairs to the front and add new stations, for instance, then the 1-x trains can go to the old stations and the 3-xxx trains can go to the new ones but still use all the existing 1-x facilities.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Hmmm, I believe that with 0.15 it changed so that you can no longer take fuel out of a locomotive - so in principle you could just use one inserter to insert fuel, and a second filter inserter (set to fuel types) to take fuel back out of wagons and put it back in the fuel chest - maybe using a circuit condition to suppress the inserter if the outserter is holding fuel to reduce the amount of work the inserters do accomplishing nothing (for example you could use a more advanced circuit, a timer, to supress the inserter for 30s or however long the train is expected to wait for, if the outserter removes fuel from the wagon).

realm174
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by realm174 »

Doing that loop tho, will basically void the "inactivity" condition for your train, won't it?

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

realm174 wrote:Doing that loop tho, will basically void the "inactivity" condition for your train, won't it?
Not if you use a countdown timer to cease inserting fuel for 30s (or whatever) after fuel has been removed from a wagon.

Return to “Gameplay Help”