How can I fix this ineffective ?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
SLB
Inserter
Inserter

How can I fix this ineffective ?

Post by SLB »

测试铁道蓝图.txt
test railway blue map
(85.41 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
test railway blue map

This is the railway for test

4 trains from station A to station B loop (yellow)

1 train from station C to station D loop (green)

The purpose of middle rail is through this traffic jam for someone who destination not station A.(like green train)

But some time I got this

A train wait at B point block other train enter station B

and it want to use middle rail and overtake some train who before it

It's ineffective for railway How can I fix this

When the station A is blocked
I want the yellow train who stop at point B go ahead and stop as close as possible station A
like this
Last edited by SLB on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How can I fix this ineffective ?

Post by Engimage »

Your setup looks just insane and makes no sense to me.

But anyways it is literally filled with chain signals. These ones make no sense if not paired with normal signals. This is why these signals block a path for your train going long distance ahead.
Please read about chain signals. I will not make a full explanation here.

If you replace every roundabout exits with normal signals this will make at least some sense

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

What on earth are you trying to accomplish? Are the random stations supposed to actually be places for loading/unloading trains eventually, or are they just for... pathing or something?

SLB
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SLB »

Selvek wrote:What on earth are you trying to accomplish? Are the random stations supposed to actually be places for loading/unloading trains eventually, or are they just for... pathing or something?
Other stations just make all path have same passlevel
PacifyerGrey wrote:If you replace every roundabout exits with normal signals this will make at least some sense
The middle rail can not use normal signals.

If any of one normal signal in middle rail, some yellow train will stop at middle rail, this will block some one who destination not station A (like green train)

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

I do not know why you want all paths to have the same passlevel (path length?). The system uses path length to help trains find the best route.

The reason trains are blocked when the middle rail has normal signals is because there is not enough room between the signals to fit an entire train. Spread the roundabouts (loops) further apart and you can put in normal signals without the train blocking other trains.

Your train network looks too complicated for only five trains. I think several of the paths will never be taken. If you do add more trains the roundabouts will be your bottle neck.

SLB
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SLB »

Greybeard_LXI wrote:I do not know why you want all paths to have the same passlevel (path length?). The system uses path length to help trains find the best route.
I tried set more stations at middle rail to make it's passlevel down but it's not work .
When I do it , the green train do not choose the middle rail too, the middle rail have no sense in this method.

Greybeard_LXI wrote: The reason trains are blocked when the middle rail has normal signals is because there is not enough room between the signals to fit an entire train. Spread the roundabouts (loops) further apart and you can put in normal signals without the train blocking other trains.
There is no matter about room, I made a little change for test, now you can see why the normal signal at middle rail wiil block green train.

Greybeard_LXI wrote: Your train network looks too complicated for only five trains. I think several of the paths will never be taken. If you do add more trains the roundabouts will be your bottle neck.
This just a test , in real it's looks like this.
Modular and no additional waiting zone for end station is the purpose
Not only one path for destination, so roundabouts not be a bottle neck, the end station and the inefficient train path finder is.

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

SLB wrote:
Greybeard_LXI wrote:I do not know why you want all paths to have the same passlevel (path length?). The system uses path length to help trains find the best route.
I tried set more stations at middle rail to make it's passlevel down but it's not work .
When I do it , the green train do not choose the middle rail too, the middle rail have no sense in this method.
When you add more stations the system thinks the path is longer and tries to avoid it.
Greybeard_LXI wrote: The reason trains are blocked when the middle rail has normal signals is because there is not enough room between the signals to fit an entire train. Spread the roundabouts (loops) further apart and you can put in normal signals without the train blocking other trains.
There is no matter about room, I made a little change for test, now you can see why the normal signal at middle rail wiil block green train.
If the yellow train is sitting on the rail block, the green train should be blocked. The question I cannot answer from the picture is why is the yellow train stopped?

SLB
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SLB »

Greybeard_LXI wrote:why is the yellow train stopped?
That is the "ineffective", that stopping yellow trains both want use middle rail "one time arrive" station A

Just like this path

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

Sorry, I do not think I can help you. We appear to have a language problem. I thank you for using English, that is the only language I speak.

Part of the problem is with English. I am using one word that has two different meanings. Block means prevent, as when the yellow train prevents the green train from moving. Block also means section or group. The section is all the rails between two signals.

Let me tell you how I would try to fix the ineffective trains. Maybe following these steps can help you fix it yourself.

1. Remove all the extra stations. The path finding program thinks each station is 2000 rail pieces long. This is designed to keep trains from driving through stations where they do not stop. Letting the path finding program do its job will solve some of the problems.

2. Look at all the rail sections. If the section is long enough for a complete train the signal on the train's right as it enters the block should be a normal rail signal. If the section is too short for a complete train use chain signals to keep the train from entering the block until it can completely go through the block.

3. When a train is blocked (prevented from entering a section) by another train there are a couple things to look at. First, should the blocked train go through that section. Second, why did the other train stop? Answering these two questions can help fix the system.

Here is a link to more information on trains: https://wiki.factorio.com/Railway

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Hi,
If I am understanding this correctly, in your second screenshot
0) train B is trying to go to stop A
1) the train on the left (no label, we are going to call it train C) is trying to go somewhere as well.

So,
Train B has left BEFORE train C, therefore during train B's routing the path finder has skipped the rail block that train C is sitting in because the train would have been stopped at the train stop and that gets an additional routing penalty enough that going round it is the better option. After train B rounds that top left corner it has two options (because the 3rd option has 3 stops along it), It can go straight or make a left. Both options are equal in the path finder's eyes because both routes are exactly the same length. Unfortunately for you, the choice is essentially random and it's chosen the one that you don't want to occur.

Unfortunately, you don't have many options. You can change a chain signal into a rail rail signal in that center block so that no matter what path is taken the train does not reserve the entire path, or you can change the layout of the rail so that you can make the center path physically longer.

Is this setup indicative of your real use-case (you have trains going to the red stops) or do you only have trains going to those green ones?

SLB
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SLB »

BenSeidel wrote: Is this setup indicative of your real use-case (you have trains going to the red stops) or do you only have trains going to those green ones?

Thanks for your reply, maybe make the center path physically longer is a good idea , I will try.
The red stations just for test, in real use-case there is the green and the yellow stations only.

Return to “Gameplay Help”