Reducing Pollution

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Morltha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Reducing Pollution

Post by Morltha »

Hello again, Factorio community!
I have another basic question, if you wouldn't mind answering it. First, a story ;)
I was having some problems with biters, mainly the big blue b-tards, so I decided to completely switch from solid fuel-powered steam engines to solar panels and accumulators.
My question is: will the "pollution cloud" on the map get smaller, and if so, how quickly?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Reducing Pollution

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Morltha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Morltha »

Right, so because I am producing less pollution due to not using ANY boilers, my "pollution cloud" should VERY SLOWLY shrink?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes. But in the area of biter nests the pollution is all sucked in. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Morltha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Morltha »

It's been 3 or 4 in-game days since I switched to pure solar, and my pollution area has not decreased AT ALL. Is something wrong or is it just extremely slow. In my central area I have furnaces, a few drills and some assembly machines. In my other areas I have oil being pumped, refined and used in chemical factories, and I have a train running around the area.

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

Machinery produces it's own pollution (you can see the value on the right if you mouse over things) and you can reduce this using effectivity modules. These can reduce the power usage and therefore pollution by up to 80%. If you put three level 1 effectivity modules or two level 2s then it will reduce both power usage and pollution to 1/5 of normal. I do this on every game I play and am basically allied with the biters at this point.

LordMorph
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LordMorph »

what i've noticed is that placing effectivity modules into structures also lowers significantly polution.

i had a place with 8 electronic drills and about 20 cubes red polution around it, it went back to plus minus 8

Morltha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Morltha »

I had 15 boilers, each producing 6 pollution. Now I have removed all my boilers. Since then I have added about 5 electronic drills. Surely my pollution should noticeably decrease at some point. Could it be that the continuous operation of my train is kicking up too much pollution?

doulos05
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by doulos05 »

You're producing less pollution, but it takes time for it to dissipate.

Morltha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Morltha »

Okay, I've now stopped blue science production (don't need to research anything for a while, anyway) and have got efficiency modules on the go.
I've put as many as I can on all my drills and oil pumps (didn't realise they gave of 9 pollution EACH), and it's massively dropped.
Thanks for your help guys!

Return to “Gameplay Help”