Logistic Problem

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Alyssa
Inserter
Inserter

Logistic Problem

Post by Alyssa »

Hello all

I got a problem with storing materials, I want to store materials using bots / flying drones or whatever they're called, but then I cannot request those materials back using drones.

My current setup is using requester chests to get the materials away from the production line and store them in a separate place.

However there's no way I can request my drones to get me back those materials as they're in requester chests,hence they don't go anywhere.
I tried using cranes to move them automatically outside the request chests into other ones,but any other kind of logistic chest (storage/active or passive) will send those same materials back to the original requester chests into a chaotic infinite loop.

I do not want to use the storage / yellow chests as I want the materials to be in specific places both for logistic purposes and both because I hate chests filled with 50 different kind of items,they're just chaotic.

Is there any workaround to this other than manually going where the requester chests are to get the items I want?
Last edited by Alyssa on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Logistic Problem

Post by Koub »

There will be a possibility with 0.16 (there will be an additional buffer chest that can act at the same time as requester and provider chest). Currently, there is no straightforward way to do so without active provider chests => storage chets.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Alyssa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alyssa »

Oh ok, I'll look forward to the 0.16 version then.
Thanks for the quick answer :mrgreen:

Edit:
I was thinking, other than boxes that can act as both requesters and givers,I would add the option to set up a priority value between 1 to 9.

For example:

Request chest -> Set priority to 9 -> will have the highest priority to get all the requested materials,as long as it will have space inside and as long as the request will not be fulfilled,all the other requester chests with priority 8 and lower will be completely skipped(player's request still has the top priority).

Passive chests will work a bit differently.

A passive chest with a priority set to 1(the lowest) will act like a normal passive provider chest.
A passive chest with a priority set to 5 will only accept request from request chests of priority 5 and higher,requester chests with lower priority will be ignored.

Additionally you can set a "Group ID" to a chest, and from there on it will work only among the other chests with the same Group ID.

So for example a provider chest will only "respond" to requester chest with the same Group ID.A group ID is numerical value a player can freely set from 1 to 99999.
May also include the priority rules as described above.

How about that?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This my friend is a new story : it's not gameplay request, it's a suggestion :). BTW it has already been suggested in some form in the past, when the buffer chest was announced in a FFF :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51772
You may want to participate.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

There is a way to overcome this currently by using a combination of Active Provider chest and a storage chest.
You can place storage chests where you want things to be stored and where bots should grab them later. Then you output your production into Active Provider chest. However due to the nature of active provider chest you can't limit output by just limiting chest slots. You have to make a circuit wire connection from output inserter to nearest roboport (which outputs logistic network stored items) and set enabled condition like Item < limit.
The only problem here is that robots do choose storage chest in your system randomly. Like randomly in the whole network so if you happen to have a chest pretty far away it may be used. However if you got this type of item in some chest already bots will choose that chest over other chests and will fill it to the max before choosing another one.

So in this case you have to avoid placing storage chests in this network in random spots and make a dedicated central storage for items.

Return to “Gameplay Help”