Splitter side loading using a drill doesn't work

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
namek
Inserter
Inserter

Splitter side loading using a drill doesn't work

Post by namek »

Is this an expected and desired behavior?
factor.png
factor.png (3.25 MiB) Viewed 1986 times
Edit: Please don't mind that it's not coal, I know inserter cannot feed copper into a driil.

Thank You.
Diagonal Factorio
Can't download a mod from mods.factorio.com ? or want to mirror it somewhere else? I'll upload somewhere or directly send them to You.

Resistance.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Splitter side loading using a drill doesn't work

Post by Zavian »

I believe that is intended behaviour.

I think the drill is trying to insert into the splitter after the splitter has merged the belts.

The easiest alternative would be to just add a piece of belt heading east, and side-load onto the southbound belt.

namek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by namek »

Zavian wrote:I believe that is intended behaviour.

I think the drill is trying to insert into the splitter after the splitter has merged the belts.

The easiest alternative would be to just add a piece of belt heading east, and side-load onto the southbound belt.
fandi.png
fandi.png (3.79 MiB) Viewed 1983 times
I know I thought I'll optimize it a bit using splitters... and as far as I remember inserters can directly throw items into a splitter and it works.
Diagonal Factorio
Can't download a mod from mods.factorio.com ? or want to mirror it somewhere else? I'll upload somewhere or directly send them to You.

Resistance.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Dropping items on a splitter often results in unexpected behaviour as you can drop items on the output side of the splitter which has no use for you. It was even so that actual rotation of the blueprint could cause designs to fail on this part so you should avoid dropping items on the splitter at all.

Generally drills will drop items to the rightmost part of the belt relative to output arrow so possibly this will work if you turn splitter backwards.
However I do not see any sense in this (and even worse with underground belts facing outwards) cause you can obviously replace this with just a common belt piece facing the belt.

namek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by namek »

PacifyerGrey wrote:Dropping items on a splitter often results in unexpected behaviour as you can drop items on the output side of the splitter which has no use for you. It was even so that actual rotation of the blueprint could cause designs to fail on this part so you should avoid dropping items on the splitter at all.

Generally drills will drop items to the rightmost part of the belt relative to output arrow so possibly this will work if you turn splitter backwards.
However I do not see any sense in this (and even worse with underground belts facing outwards) cause you can obviously replace this with just a common belt piece facing the belt.
Those underground belts are only for taste of the design reasons and as you can see it works perfectly with them, have no practical purpose. Thanks. Actually a lot of stuff in my base is just for "it looks better this way" thing.
Diagonal Factorio

Resistance.

Return to “Gameplay Help”