Trains, fluid and Circuit Network problem.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Kaldarun
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Trains, fluid and Circuit Network problem.

Post by Kaldarun »

[Disclaimer] I'm on my first play though and I've just started to build trains, version 15.34

Issue: My "Automated" train station leaves between 0.1 and 0.9 (usually 0.5) fluid in each of the fluid wagon compartments.

Setup: 1 train stop and pump connected with a green wire.
The pump is enabled if Light Oil > 0

What happens: The train stops, the pump activates and starts removing the fluid, the pump deactivates, but leaves a >0 <1 amount of fluid in each compartment.

Does anyone know why this occurs?

t-lor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Trains, fluid and Circuit Network problem.

Post by t-lor »

what is set for the requirements for the train to leave ?

but i think your problem is the pump. when it stops it sill has some fluid in it.
At the moment you power it off, im guessing it dumps that back in the car.

im a bit fluxed why you want such a setup. are you trying to unload multiple trains with different fluids on the same network ?

Kaldarun
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kaldarun »

Thanks, the rounding issue seems to be my problem here.

Well the plan was to use a single train and two train stops. It would fill up from the most full tank at the pumpjack stop, then drop off to the correct tank at the factory end.

So I guess I'll have to engineer some sort of delay to the off signal to the pumps so they get a chance to completely empty the cargo and then signal the train to leave....

Not that the current setup will in any way work because when I built the track I didn't realise that automatic trains could not go in reverse. So a complete rebuild is required here.

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

You can use double-headed trains to go in reverse (one engine at each end).

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Kaldarun wrote:Thanks, the rounding issue seems to be my problem here.

Well the plan was to use a single train and two train stops. It would fill up from the most full tank at the pumpjack stop, then drop off to the correct tank at the factory end.

So I guess I'll have to engineer some sort of delay to the off signal to the pumps so they get a chance to completely empty the cargo and then signal the train to leave....

Not that the current setup will in any way work because when I built the track I didn't realise that automatic trains could not go in reverse. So a complete rebuild is required here.
If you're trying to move no more than 3 different fluids, then you could just separate the individual tanks of the train (click the fluid wagon to do this), and then set it to leave as soon as any fluid is full or all are empty.

Kaldarun
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kaldarun »

Thanks for the help, I now have my first automated train running between 2 stops delivering 3 different fluids.

Though thinking about it now, perhaps I should have just moved the refinery from the drill site to where the rest of the fluid processing happens.

Then I would have only needed to transport oil.....

Maybe I'll do better in my 2nd game.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Yes, I would suggest putting oil processing in your main base as you will probably have multiple oil outposts in the late game and you don't have to set up a new refinery and find water for cracking each time you need more oil.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Gameplay Help”