Rocket lauch timings?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
FrodoOf9Fingers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Rocket lauch timings?

Post by FrodoOf9Fingers »

I'm working towards 80 science packs / sec, and I'm trying to figure out how many rocket silos I'll need. Has anyone timed how long the launch animation is from the time that it starts to the time that the silo can start making rocket parts again?

FrodoOf9Fingers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Rocket lauch timings?

I honestly have no clue how this got into this forum... was it moved here?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Yes, by a fellow mod :). Good news : it's in the right subforum now ^^.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

FrodoOf9Fingers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Thanks. I guess I never thought of theory crafting be placed under a support forum >.>

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

I think it's 20 seconds to open the silo, and 20 seconds to launch. Add 21 seconds to produce a rocket with max productivity and speed beacons, and you get 990 science per minute (16.5 science per second).

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Is that the fastest you can build a rocket? Wouldn't pure speed modules be faster (provided you can produce the items fast enough)? You can use multiple stack inserters to feed the silo form buffer chests so refill speed shouldn't be a limit, right?

ili
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ili »

mrvn wrote:Is that the fastest you can build a rocket? Wouldn't pure speed modules be faster (provided you can produce the items fast enough)? You can use multiple stack inserters to feed the silo form buffer chests so refill speed shouldn't be a limit, right?
It's a huge waste to not use productivity, you can use speed in beacons
The timing can be tested very easily, I can test it for you today or tomorrow in my sandbox map

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

mrvn wrote:Is that the fastest you can build a rocket? Wouldn't pure speed modules be faster (provided you can produce the items fast enough)? You can use multiple stack inserters to feed the silo form buffer chests so refill speed shouldn't be a limit, right?
Probably not. Productivity is multiplicative with speed while speed is merely additive. I know that with ordinary assemblers pure speed3 is a little faster than prod3+speed3 beacons (7x vs 6.16x when using "alternating rows"), but you can fit a lot more speed3 beacons around a rocket silo so the effect of multiplying production by 1.4x is probably going to be larger than merely adding another +200% speed.

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

You need 13 beacons around a silo before it becomes faster to use productivity 3 instead of speed 3 in the silo itself.

Prod
https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.htm ... 3:p3;s3:26
Speed
https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.htm ... 3:s3;s3:26

But putting productivity modules in your silo is such a cheap way to reduce the size of your megabase by a third for a given science speed that I can't imagine ever putting speed in it ever under any circumstance.

SpeedDaemon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SpeedDaemon »

To answer the original question, I believe the launch animation is about 90 seconds.

In 0.13, I had a field of 288 silos with Bob's God module 5s (effectively instant production of the rocket), and it averaged out at about 3.2 rockets per second, which works out to exactly 90 seconds for the launch.

So, you'll need 8 silos at least.

ili
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ili »

Test results:
With productivity 01:01
With Speed 01:03
Blueprint
2017-09-01_23-47-02.png
2017-09-01_23-47-02.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 6795 times
2017-09-01_23-48-58.png
2017-09-01_23-48-58.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 6795 times

FrodoOf9Fingers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

It is 1830 ticks from the time that inserter drops a satellite into the rocket to when it picks up the next satellite. Factoring in the time that a stack inserter takes to move the satellite, it's 1:01 as others have suggested.

Thanks everyone!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I like the clock

Return to “Gameplay Help”