Train unloading unbalances [bug_won't fix]

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
namek
Inserter
Inserter

Train unloading unbalances [bug_won't fix]

Post by namek »

The conclusion of this topic debate: Different behavior of splitters is confirmed in 0.15. It means that the input of a splitter is not balanced, only the output is. This behavior is said to be fixed in 0.16.

OK, I'm very tired of digging up for a problem in my unloading setup, which is simple but put in a messy way.

Here is the pic:
screenshot_fact.png
screenshot_fact.png (15.42 MiB) Viewed 6617 times
Lower two wagons are being unloaded faster than upper two, when iron ore is being used, should be 1:1. Can anybody try and check for a problem? Probably missed something, some nasty belt or smth...

Here is the save file:
sdad_war.zip
(8.23 MiB) Downloaded 113 times
mods:
concreted-rails_0.1.5.zip
(736.61 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
TruePeacefulMode_0.0.2.zip
(956 Bytes) Downloaded 117 times
VehicleSnap_1.15.1.zip
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
Thank YOU All very much for the time YOU have spared for looking at or solving my problem!!! I owe YOU
Last edited by namek on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Diagonal Factorio
Can't download a mod from mods.factorio.com ? or want to mirror it somewhere else? I'll upload somewhere or directly send them to You.

Resistance.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Train unloading unbalances

Post by impetus maximus »

one cominator and some red and green wires will balance them out. ;)
this blueprint is set up for that stop.
unload balanced chests blueprint
here is a 4 way balancer that will also lane balance (left/right side)
re-balancer.red.png
re-balancer.red.png (144.74 KiB) Viewed 6598 times
red 4 lane re-balancer
if items being 'stuck' on the re-balancer bothers you here is a cheaper (also 2:1 splitter) re-balancer than what you are using.
red.re-balancer.png
red.re-balancer.png (90.33 KiB) Viewed 6598 times
red re-balancer also 2to1 blueprint

namek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by namek »

Yeah I know, but it should work without them. I hope it's not a games bug. All those things should be balanced the way they are now. I should have probably put in other words, boxes are unequally drained.
Last edited by namek on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diagonal Factorio
Can't download a mod from mods.factorio.com ? or want to mirror it somewhere else? I'll upload somewhere or directly send them to You.

Resistance.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Are you sure that your consumption is similar on all sides?

It seems you have lane balancers before consumers but I think other balancers you have are not line balancers so they won't guarantee pulling from each source equally.
You'd need to consult one of balancers experts tho :)

namek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by namek »

orzelek wrote:Are you sure that your consumption is similar on all sides?

It seems you have lane balancers before consumers but I think other balancers you have are not line balancers so they won't guarantee pulling from each source equally.
You'd need to consult one of balancers experts tho :)
I'm not a newbie in this game, I read a lot again and again. There are one belt, unlimited throughput, input-output perfect lane balancers, that drain them, as you can see in pic. 4outputs are not in use yet, I keep them disconnected. So either I missed something or some unexpected magic happens ;D So yeah, Balancing masters please come and help me! ;D And it would be nice if You explained it in details =)
Diagonal Factorio

Resistance.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I'm not sure if thats the reason but your 4x4 balancers are not what wiki gives for 4x4 balancers for belt balancing.
That might be causing the effect you are seeing. Unless ones that you have same performance with 2 splitters less.
Wiki link:
4 by x belts

And wiki also has a nice explanation whats the difference between full one and one you have since 4x4 is used as an example.

namek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by namek »

orzelek wrote:I'm not sure if thats the reason but your 4x4 balancers are not what wiki gives for 4x4 balancers for belt balancing.
That might be causing the effect you are seeing. Unless ones that you have same performance with 2 splitters less.
Wiki link:
4 by x belts

And wiki also has a nice explanation whats the difference between full one and one you have since 4x4 is used as an example.
They are the same, just built differently. And You can see that upper and lower balancers are identical. Well actually they are just mixers not balancers, this thing doesn't need balancing since drain input and out are balanced. And difference after use of full 4 wagons is 100 ores. After second row - 200. And it gets bigger and bigger.

Maybe you'll understand it better instead of pointing out different designs :)
screenshot_fact.png
screenshot_fact.png (13.54 MiB) Viewed 6506 times
Last edited by namek on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Diagonal Factorio

Resistance.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

I've also had similar problems with belt arrangements that I believe should be balanced not drawing from input equally. Two things:

1) I can't see where the lane balancing is happening; am I just missing it? My vaguely similar unloading setups have a balancer in front of each pair of inserters unloading the boxes, before the two single-lane belts merge into a dual-lane belt.

2) I can't find a link to the thread now, but there was some discussion recently that implied that 0.15 might no longer be guaranteeing that a balancer pulls from each input belt equally in all cases, with some devs commenting that they are only guaranteed to *output* to each belt equally, and that this was determined to be a bug that's fixed in 0.16... if anyone can find that thread a link would be useful so I can read it again and confirming whether I'm remembering this accurately (I read it before I found this problem occurring in my own factory) :)

namek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by namek »

torne wrote:I've also had similar problems with belt arrangements that I believe should be balanced not drawing from input equally. Two things:

1) I can't see where the lane balancing is happening; am I just missing it? My vaguely similar unloading setups have a balancer in front of each pair of inserters unloading the boxes, before the two single-lane belts merge into a dual-lane belt.

2) I can't find a link to the thread now, but there was some discussion recently that implied that 0.15 might no longer be guaranteeing that a balancer pulls from each input belt equally in all cases, with some devs commenting that they are only guaranteed to *output* to each belt equally, and that this was determined to be a bug that's fixed in 0.16... if anyone can find that thread a link would be useful so I can read it again and confirming whether I'm remembering this accurately (I read it before I found this problem occurring in my own factory) :)
Well that's a bummer. Because all I could think of was my inserters couldn't keep up. But in normal conditions they easily keep up. And if You are right I will be sad until 0.16 gets out.
Diagonal Factorio

Resistance.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Train unloading unbalances [not solved]

Post by golfmiketango »

So long as there is backpressure -- even a little tiny bit -- this will always happen if you make any kind of even moderately complex arrangement involving splitters in 0.15. It's a known, WONTFIX'ed, bug. You are not crazy. I have a huge lab with gigantic input-lane-balanced input/output-perfect 12->10 balancers, and a bunch of exponential-decay throughput rolling-average calculators and various bean-counters for my completely practical smelter design, and have concluded that it is literally impossible to do accurate input-side balancing in factorio 0.15 with splitters.

If you want to try it yourself: split 8 belts into two groups of 8 single-lane belts, and build 8 1->8 balancers, then shuffle outputs "perfectly" across eight 8->8 balancers (per-lane, so that's 16 8->8 balancers, each holding about 1/8th of a lane worth of items), then reshuffle those two sets of 8 lanes perfectly into 2x8 8->1 balancers, then rejoin the lanes for your 8 perfect input-output balanced belts. Unless you then consume all those outputs, I promise you, once the backpressure eventually feeds through all that crap, it still won't balance the fucking inputs :)

Pretty frustrating but I am at least learning a thing or two about how to do floating-point arithmetic with combinators trying to measure all of this crap...

So, we must wait for 0.16. If there's still a problem, we can take it from there.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

glad i spent the time to help you try and help you.

namek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by namek »

impetus maximus wrote:glad i spent the time to help you try and help you.
I still appreciate that very much!
Diagonal Factorio

Resistance.

namek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by namek »

golfmiketango wrote:So long as there is backpressure -- even a little tiny bit -- this will always happen if you make any kind of even moderately complex arrangement involving splitters in 0.15. It's a known, WONTFIX'ed, bug. You are not crazy. I have a huge lab with gigantic input-lane-balanced input/output-perfect 12->10 balancers, and a bunch of exponential-decay throughput rolling-average calculators and various bean-counters for my completely practical smelter design, and have concluded that it is literally impossible to do accurate input-side balancing in factorio 0.15 with splitters.

If you want to try it yourself: split 8 belts into two groups of 8 single-lane belts, and build 8 1->8 balancers, then shuffle outputs "perfectly" across eight 8->8 balancers (per-lane, so that's 16 8->8 balancers, each holding about 1/8th of a lane worth of items), then reshuffle those two sets of 8 lanes perfectly into 2x8 8->1 balancers, then rejoin the lanes for your 8 perfect input-output balanced belts. Unless you then consume all those outputs, I promise you, once the backpressure eventually feeds through all that crap, it still won't balance the fucking inputs :)

Pretty frustrating but I am at least learning a thing or two about how to do floating-point arithmetic with combinators trying to measure all of this crap...

So, we must wait for 0.16. If there's still a problem, we can take it from there.
Why developers decided to change the behavior of splitters? I mean it was complex enough, no need to make it worse...
Diagonal Factorio

Resistance.

SpeedDaemon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Train unloading unbalances [bug_not solved]

Post by SpeedDaemon »

If every train comes in completely full, you could set up some combinators on the inserters to disable train->chest if the associated chest gets too far above average, and disable chest->belt if it gets too far below. This still isn't a perfect solution, but might be better than letting it keep creeping farther out of balance.

Doing this will make each train take slightly longer to unload, but it's better than what happens otherwise where one train car is half full while the other three are empty, and your throughput craters for a while.

namek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by namek »

SpeedDaemon wrote:If every train comes in completely full, you could set up some combinators on the inserters to disable train->chest if the associated chest gets too far above average, and disable chest->belt if it gets too far below. This still isn't a perfect solution, but might be better than letting it keep creeping farther out of balance.

Doing this will make each train take slightly longer to unload, but it's better than what happens otherwise where one train car is half full while the other three are empty, and your throughput craters for a while.
Yeah I can do that, but now I'm so unmotivated, balancing is used all over my base, kind of sad to change everything.
Diagonal Factorio

Resistance.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Please don't attach 15.42 MiB screenshot.

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

namek wrote:
Yeah I can do that, but now I'm so unmotivated, balancing is used all over my base, kind of sad to change everything.
Quick question - what is the actual problem?

Don't say "the problem is it's unbalanced". What problem does the imbalance actually cause? There may be a simpler way to achieve what you actually care about than anything involving, say, exponential decay rolling average floating point throughput counters.

namek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by namek »

Selvek wrote:
namek wrote:
Quick question - what is the actual problem?

Don't say "the problem is it's unbalanced". What problem does the imbalance actually cause? There may be a simpler way to achieve what you actually care about than anything involving, say, exponential decay rolling average floating point throughput counters.
Diagonal Factorio

Resistance.

namek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by namek »

darkfrei wrote:Please don't attach 15.42 MiB screenshot.
Please don't use mobile data to browse factorio forums.
Diagonal Factorio

Resistance.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

namek wrote:
darkfrei wrote:Please don't attach 15.42 MiB screenshot.
Please don't use mobile data to browse factorio forums.
You know what?

I used to never think size was a problem. I had ~120 down at my house. Then go somewhere with really, really bad wifi and try to use a laptop to browse the forums. At one place I'm commonly at I get 5 down on a really good day.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Gameplay Help”