stray trains

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
ili
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: stray trains

Post by ili »

The only way I manage to replicate your problem is by setting a manual train and positioning it inside the junction.
If the pink train set to Manual the iron train will go strait and get stuck in the PEX station.
If the pink train set to Automatic and waiting in the red signal the iron train will go right and wait behind the pink train as you expect.
So Manual train penalty > Station penalty
Did you have manual trains on the line?
2017-08-25_10-39-50.png
2017-08-25_10-39-50.png (1.87 MiB) Viewed 3197 times

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I've also tried to find easy reproducible examples, but it seems that you need multiple trains in occupied blocks to trigger the worst offenses. See also viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51887#p303201

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

ili wrote:The only way I manage to replicate your problem is by setting a manual train and positioning it inside the junction.
If the pink train set to Manual the iron train will go strait and get stuck in the PEX station.
If the pink train set to Automatic and waiting in the red signal the iron train will go right and wait behind the pink train as you expect.
2017-08-25_10-39-50.png

It just has to have to do with loop-style systems along with large networks, lots of trains and occupied blocks, and luck.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

ili
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ili »

Jap2.0 wrote:
ili wrote:The only way I manage to replicate your problem is by setting a manual train and positioning it inside the junction.
2017-08-25_10-39-50.png

It just has to have to do with loop-style systems along with large networks, lots of trains and occupied blocks, and luck.
I have a much bigger loop based system with more trains and so far I never had this problem (on version 15.x)

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

ili wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:
2017-08-25_10-39-50.png

I have a much bigger loop based system with more trains and so far I never had this problem (on version 15.x)
I haven't seen it in 0.15 yet, but I haven't done much of my 0.14 loop base in there either, though, so it may be fixed.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

I have it permanently in 0.15. Just 15 minutes ago I was in a train that was doing two loops (of around 20 chunks each) until it finally decided it can head to the stop it was assigned to. Yu have to avoid every loop to not get this in more complex networks - trains will gladly take a 20 chunk detour just because a fast moving train was somewhere in their path. it is not breaking, but it is as annoying as it can be.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

SuicideJunkie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SuicideJunkie »

I've been suffering this with my copper train trying to do a loop-de-loop through my drill factory, which generates a cascade failure of two thirds of my entire network.

If I'm following the thread's speculations correctly, would it help to use varying block sizes with the signals, and ensure a small block near the entrance to the depot?
The idea being that larger blocks will force the trains to space out a bit, but then a sudden smaller set of blocks near the turn-off will mean the ideal path always has at least one clear block to path into.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

SuicideJunkie, try the solution i linked to in my last post. would probably work more reliably than messing with block sizes.

SuicideJunkie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SuicideJunkie »

I think I've solved the problem by with a bit of parallel track to move the exit's connection point. Making the on-ramp and off-ramp be the same block with no forks other than the branch to the stops.
The train should certainly not path to its current location.

Return to “Gameplay Help”