[SOLVED] Problem with some rail signals

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
SteelSlayer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[SOLVED] Problem with some rail signals

Post by SteelSlayer »

So I've been tearing my hair out at this problem for a while now. Basically, you can see in the first picture that the train on the right is stopping at the signal its currently at because its red. I have no idea why this signal is red, and simply removing the signal makes the chain signal above it permanently red which means a train can't even enter the right most station. Any help on this would be appreciated, Thanks.
factorio train problem.jpg
factorio train problem.jpg (918.05 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
Here's an overview of the whole train stacker and offloading area:
Overview.jpg
Overview.jpg (855.53 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
Last edited by SteelSlayer on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Problem with some rail signals

Post by Kyralessa »

It's red because of the train on the left. That train entered the block (turning the signal on the left red) and is still in that block, because it hasn't passed another signal. So that train will stay in that block, blocking it, until it's done loading and leaves.

I gather you probably don't have a valid place on that train's tracks to place another signal, so you'll probably have to rethink your overall design.

You might've thought that crossing the tracks ended the block, but in fact a block can contain any number of tracks and crossings. A block is only broken by another signal (or by the end of the tracks).

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

well really just need another light on the right side of the track that's going to the further north track. There's no break for that rail which is corssing the bottom horizontal rail...

looks like lots of space to be able to put a signal there.

vortex1967
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vortex1967 »

Here is a design that might suit your needs that doesn't require a major redesign.
Entry Junctions.jpg
Entry Junctions.jpg (208.28 KiB) Viewed 1811 times

SteelSlayer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SteelSlayer »

Thanks everyone, I got it working now. I understand what you mean about blocks now Kyralessa. I ended up implementing something similar to the picture given by Vortex1967.

Return to “Gameplay Help”