Steam turbine ratios with daytime solar?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
greep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Steam turbine ratios with daytime solar?

Post by greep »

I'm pretty lazy on doing the math, and since someone's probably already done it I may as well just ask. I'm aiming to use "nighttime nuclear" in the way that you would use nighttime steam engines early game. The goal is to completely eliminate accumulators, reduce solar panel count, and stretch out nuclear fuel. Specifically, for a factory that requires X energy at peak daytime, I'd have enough panels that produce exactly X, and enough nuclear power to produce exactly X at pure night (while also picking up the slack as the sun goes down/up).

So the question is, for every heat exchanger, how many storage tanks and steam turbines should you need? I'd imagine one tank and 4 turbines, but that's just a wild guess.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Steam turbine ratios with daytime solar?

Post by DaveMcW »

Since it light 70% of the time, 70% of your power will be solar and 30% will be nuclear.

60kW (solar panel) * 3/7 ÷ 5.82 MW (turbine) = 0.00442 turbines per solar panel.

Or 226 solar panels per turbine.

greep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by greep »

It's not quite that simple. You'd actually have to have enough turbines to equal 100% of your solar, since without accumulators you need to run full blast in the night. I'm looking for a slightly different problem.

Here's the problem in more concrete terms, If have a 480 MW reactor complex, and want the reactors to run 24/7 but the turbines to only run when not having sufficient solar power, how many turbines and storage tanks would I need? I think I can figure out the answer from here, I'd just need to calculate how many solar panels I'd be able to support (I think it'd be (100/29 * 480MW) / 60kW), figure out the identical power production in turbines. And for storage tanks use the amount of accumlators you'd need for that many panels and divide it by the ratio of accumulator energy storage vs steam turbine storage tank storage. Anyways, I'm sure someone's already done all this, though.
Last edited by greep on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

Not my post, but might be useful for your needs
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48693#p282782

Muche
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Muche »

I've recently calculated similar thing for steam engines; here are the results using the same methodology, hopefully it's correct:

One heat exchanger produces around 103 steam/s, that's 103 steam/s * 1s/60tick * 25000 tick/day = 42916.66 steam/day.
One steam turbine consumes 60 steam/s * 1s/60tick * 25000 tick/day * 30%day/night = 7500 steam/night.
That results in 5.72 turbines (and 1.716 storage tanks) per heat exchanger.
For the whole 480 MW setup it's 48 heat exchangers, so 274.66 turbines and 82.4 storage tanks. 274.66 turbines have power output of almost 1.6 GW, so this is should be accompanied by 26642.66 solar panels (meaning 97 solar panels per steam turbine, equal to nominal power ratio).

The required minimum of storage tanks could be less, as some steam is being produced during the night as well, but I'd rather have slightly more storage.

Return to “Gameplay Help”