Read Train Contents at train stop

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
FireGamer500
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Read Train Contents at train stop

Post by FireGamer500 »

Hello. I'm messing around with more advanced things (compared to the basic stuff I've been doing) and so am trying things with circuits and trains. I thought I had a few things figured out, but turns out I don't.

I have a train full of iron ore at a train stop. It has wire connected to it, and read train contents, and read stopped train are both selected. There is also wire going to the power poles nearby. Shouldn't I see the circuit signals from the train when I hover over the power poles? If I hook a chest up to the power pole, I see the contents of the chest just fine. I'm trying to trouble shoot some circuit ideas I had that aren't working, and thought seeing the signal would help. But if I'm wrong that you can't see the signal from a train stop, then that's gonna be a lot harder.

Thank you for any help anyone can give on this.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Read Train Contents at train stop

Post by DaveMcW »

Did you drive the train to the station in automatic mode?

FireGamer500
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FireGamer500 »

I did drive it to the station in automatic, but I'd messed around moving it manually to try and figure out why the circuit stuff I was trying to do wouldn't work before I thought to try looking at the signal. I just sent the train there on automatic and didn't touch it, and it's showing the signal just fine. Thank you very much!

Cauled
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cauled »

As you discovered, the train contents is not sent to the circuit network unless the train is in AUTOMATIC mode. If it is in MANUAL mode, no contents or any other signal is sent to the network. If you're troubleshooting setting up a network design and you need to read the signals from the train while you're working on it, then you can set the train to stay at the station by telling it to stay at the station until EMPTY CARGO or FULL CARGO. As long as those conditions are never true then the train will stay at a station in automatic mode as long as you want.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Cauled wrote:If you're troubleshooting setting up a network design and you need to read the signals from the train while you're working on it, then you can set the train to stay at the station by telling it to stay at the station until EMPTY CARGO or FULL CARGO. As long as those conditions are never true then the train will stay at a station in automatic mode as long as you want.
If you make it stay until "empty cargo AND full cargo" it will stay there forever :)
Since most of my trains already have an "empty cargo" or "full cargo" condition in their schedules, I just add the opposite condition temporarily to make them stay there.

Ripshaft
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ripshaft »

torne wrote:
Cauled wrote:If you're troubleshooting setting up a network design and you need to read the signals from the train while you're working on it, then you can set the train to stay at the station by telling it to stay at the station until EMPTY CARGO or FULL CARGO. As long as those conditions are never true then the train will stay at a station in automatic mode as long as you want.
If you make it stay until "empty cargo AND full cargo" it will stay there forever :)
Since most of my trains already have an "empty cargo" or "full cargo" condition in their schedules, I just add the opposite condition temporarily to make them stay there.
A much easier alternative is to just go to 'add condition' --> 'circuit'
and then just leave it at 'blank > 0' - which will keep it there indefinitely, with much less clicking to get there.

This has the added advantage of being extremely easy to identify as your order for the train to not move, if you want to remove it later, unlike the cargo ones, which you'd have to check.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Aha, yeah. That's a much better trick! Thanks for the idea :)

Return to “Gameplay Help”