New Player first Game

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
onekrone
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

New Player first Game

Post by onekrone »

I have already checked to see if my laptop could run the game it came back all good. Lenovo AMD A8 laptop with integrated graphics. I run Windows 10 Home current addition. No issues there.

I set the resource settings to large deposits and rich. I left the biter settings alone. The rest of the settings are default. So I load a new game making sure I have copper. iron, coal and stone within easy reach of each other. I set up iron mining as well as smelting using wood for fuel I then go to my stone deposit and mine 10 stone make 2 stone furnaces turn both into the first miners you can craft. burner miners? I set one up on the stone with more wood for fuel the other on the coal. This is the part I have an issue. The stone miner stops when I remove the stone mined even though I have fuel in it. I've removed the fuel and added it again no go it still does no mining. Changing the ful to coal does nothing.

Is this a bug?

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: New Player first Game

Post by Patashu »

If the space in front of a miner is full, it stops mining.
If you need to mine a lot of stone, craft a wooden chest and place it in front of the miner.
I think it's on by default, but one of the graphics settings enables yellow arrows showing the direction a miner will output resources. So you put the chest there.
Later you'll place conveyor belts, and miners can mine directly onto a belt, and the ores/coal can be sent elsewhere for further processing.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

+1 for the miner needing a free space in front of it to keep mining.
The default key to activate additional info on inputs/outputs and what machines are doing is : [Alt].
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Miners are simple machines. They have no output buffer where they can store mined result. They to place mined items in front of them where a yellow arrow is. You should place something in front of a miner for it to be able to mine continuously. You can use:
1. A wooden chest. In this case it will place mined resources right inside the chest where you can get them later by yourself or by inserter.
2. A transport belt which will transport it to other machines.
3. A stone furnace. In this case mined resource will be smelted by a furnace.

Be aware that a furnece as opposed to a miner HAS output buffer (a single stack slot) where it can store smelted result.

One exception about burner mining drills is that they can be used to feed each other with coal if they are used on coal patch and are directed into one another. In this case they do store mined coal in the "fuel" slot which you can get out of them by ctrl-clicking on them. This trick is widely used by speed runners so you mine coal in this way and bring it to other machines by hand.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

PacifyerGrey wrote:Miners are simple machines. They have no output buffer where they can store mined result. They to place mined items in front of them where a yellow arrow is. You should place something in front of a miner for it to be able to mine continuously. You can use:
1. A wooden chest. In this case it will place mined resources right inside the chest where you can get them later by yourself or by inserter.
2. A transport belt which will transport it to other machines.
3. A stone furnace. In this case mined resource will be smelted by a furnace.

Be aware that a furnece as opposed to a miner HAS output buffer (a single stack slot) where it can store smelted result.

One exception about burner mining drills is that they can be used to feed each other with coal if they are used on coal patch and are directed into one another. In this case they do store mined coal in the "fuel" slot which you can get out of them by ctrl-clicking on them. This trick is widely used by speed runners so you mine coal in this way and bring it to other machines by hand.
if you don't put coal into furnace, it doesn't smelt.

furnace is used instead of wooden box, when you doing lazy bastard achievement :lol:

onekrone
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by onekrone »

I actually played the tutorial and found out what my issue was. No chest to hold what was mined. My thanks for all the replies.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Factorio. By the way, in the future, snap a screenshot of the problem setup, and include it in your post here. Most of us veterans of the game can take one look at it and know what's causing the issue right away.

Return to “Gameplay Help”