Nuclear System Backup Power Circuitry

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Nuclear System Backup Power Circuitry

Post by xBlizzDevious »

Hi all,

I've got a large nuclear power station on one network, a small accumulator bank on one network and I've got the rest of my base, including a huge accumulator bank, on another network.

I'm trying to get the power station to always store some backup power in the small accu. bank so that it can keep running, so that if it can't produce enough power for the main base or in case of lack of fuel, I can get things running again.

What I'm after:
> The power station to charge the small accu. bank before sending power to the base.
> The networks to intelligently separate and re-connect as and when necessary based on what's able to be powered.

As I'm trying to explain this, I've realised that it's probably not possible without causing erratic power switches and lag which I have experienced with my current setup. I'm hoping it is possible though and that one of you smart guys will explain how!

Any ideas?

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Nuclear System Backup Power Circuitry

Post by Aeternus »

Simplest solution: A small group of solar collectors to restore power (or a 1.8MW single boiler duals steam engine chemical power plant, but you'll need to keep a fuel supply stocked for longer blackouts), a small group of batteries, and a S/R latch that disconnects the nuclear powerplant from the main power grid if the batteries fall below a critical level (5% or so).
A good explanation on how to make the levelbased latch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEOXGBYR6oM. Suggest triggering the switch open at 5% battery, closed at 95%

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

Aeternus wrote:Simplest solution: A small group of solar collectors to restore power (or a 1.8MW single boiler duals steam engine chemical power plant, but you'll need to keep a fuel supply stocked for longer blackouts), a small group of batteries, and a S/R latch that disconnects the nuclear powerplant from the main power grid if the batteries fall below a critical level (5% or so).
A good explanation on how to make the levelbased latch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEOXGBYR6oM. Suggest triggering the switch open at 5% battery, closed at 95%
Due to a mod I'm using, power poles make that impossible within the restrictions of their range. Basically, every power pole covers a much larger area than standard. So I can't disconnect the solar panels from the main network.

And also, I'm using a large array of twelve 2x4 reactor setups. It would be nice to handle them all through the one backup system.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

If you are unable to isolate the solar generators from the factory network, you're never going to be able to create a backup power supply that only feeds the nuclear generators. But with a plant that large I suspect you have a bit of a megacomplex going. I suggest using a chemical backup plant in that case. A trick you can use - siphon some 500dgr steam from the heat exchangers. One or two tanks worth should do. Create the latches to disconnect the nuclear power plant when power falls to critical levels. Add 2 "Steam engines" to these emergency tanks. When this happens, the "emergency" steam tank should still be nearly full, and a full steam tank is just shy of 2.5 GJ of energy when filled with 500dgr steam. Steam engines consume this high energy steam at a very low rate. If you need a bigger emergency buffer or more then 1.8 MW in emergency power, just add more tanks or engines.

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

Aeternus wrote:If you are unable to isolate the solar generators from the factory network, you're never going to be able to create a backup power supply that only feeds the nuclear generators. But with a plant that large I suspect you have a bit of a megacomplex going. I suggest using a chemical backup plant in that case. A trick you can use - siphon some 500dgr steam from the heat exchangers. One or two tanks worth should do. Create the latches to disconnect the nuclear power plant when power falls to critical levels. Add 2 "Steam engines" to these emergency tanks. When this happens, the "emergency" steam tank should still be nearly full, and a full steam tank is just shy of 2.5 GJ of energy when filled with 500dgr steam. Steam engines consume this high energy steam at a very low rate. If you need a bigger emergency buffer or more then 1.8 MW in emergency power, just add more tanks or engines.
Hmm.. That's just accumulators but with tanks instead. It's not quite what I'm after. It is a good idea though!

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Well, you're gonna have to generate power one way or another for a backup plant. You basically have 3 options:
1: Store energy. Accumulator or steam tank. If the buffer is large enough, this should suffice. Buffers run out though...
2: Burn chemical fuel. Basically a boiler/steamengine backup. This requires you to supply the burner with fuel - in case of a blackout this can still be done with Burner Inserters as long as you have a steady flow of fuel. Your energy storage would basically be the fuel buffer, as a blacked out factory will not be producing new fuel... But generally, a full chest of Solid Fuel can power a Steam Engine quad for hours, even at maximum utilization. But again, buffers will run out.
3: Solar energy (with accumulator backup). This doesn't need additional fuel, and if you ensured that the solar backup plant is disconnected from the nuclear plant's power grid until the low power situation occurred, the accumulators would be full when the solar plant is called on, so this would work even at night. But as stated, your power grid / space won't support this.

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

Does this accomplish what you are after viewtopic.php?f=208&t=47556. I am not sure it talks too much about it but does include backup power.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

Shokubai wrote:Does this accomplish what you are after viewtopic.php?f=208&t=47556. I am not sure it talks too much about it but does include backup power.
Ah yea I was going to suggest this. xD
It produces enough power with its few solar cells and accumulators to power the plant infinitely. (Even with all the pumps and combinator and a roboport) Also theres an alarm if power goes too low for some reason. Should only happen when you've accidentially connected the upper part to base network.

But... If you cant disconnect power poles with a copper wire in your hand you cant us it either.
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

Distelzombie wrote:But... If you cant disconnect power poles with a copper wire in your hand you cant us it either.
Shift clicking a pole disconnects all connections. You can then manually connect where you want with copper wire.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

Yes. It is not usually necessary to do that with my build, but he has to do that because mods.
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

Distelzombie wrote:Yes. It is not usually necessary to do that with my build, but he has to do that because mods.

Hadn't noticed you'd updated your design again. I think I'm using 2.1 but it could be any of 2.x. In fact, I think I'd just got everything full set up the way I like it when you released the first solar panel version - where I built one of it, it didn't work quite right (because of my mods) and so I just removed it and put back what I had.

I'm now running 12 of them (yes, I consume a LOT of power) but ideally I'd just run a single setup. Unfortunately, the heat pipe mechanics mean that your design is about as much power as you can get out of a single set of reactors.

When I get a chance, I may look into it again but having to go to work tomorrow morning means I have to sleep now.

Thanks for the help so far and hopefully I can separate the two networks without too much difficulty. It may require me moving the substations around the reactors and re-wiring everything there. That's mainly why I didn't bother before.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

xBlizzDevious wrote:
Distelzombie wrote:Yes. It is not usually necessary to do that with my build, but he has to do that because mods.

Hadn't noticed you'd updated your design again. I think I'm using 2.1 but it could be any of 2.x. In fact, I think I'd just got everything full set up the way I like it when you released the first solar panel version - where I built one of it, it didn't work quite right (because of my mods) and so I just removed it and put back what I had.

I'm now running 12 of them (yes, I consume a LOT of power) but ideally I'd just run a single setup. Unfortunately, the heat pipe mechanics mean that your design is about as much power as you can get out of a single set of reactors.

When I get a chance, I may look into it again but having to go to work tomorrow morning means I have to sleep now.

Thanks for the help so far and hopefully I can separate the two networks without too much difficulty. It may require me moving the substations around the reactors and re-wiring everything there. That's mainly why I didn't bother before.
How can make updates more visually apparent? Version number in thread title? Yea, Im gonna do that.

12!! Haha! OK but I've seen some builds that are bigger. The thing is the bonus doesnt really grow as much after 4x2, so modularity is hard, but possible. I havent seen a modular build though. (The other kind of modular. Not the "thing" I do)

Im not sure if you want all the alarms I included when you use TWELVE of these things. On the other hand they sound quite good. Like your local bell tower. xD

Cant you just disconnect the power grid area I highlighted in one of the pictures in my thread? That should work. I think you can connect each backup power grid together... If they're in a row it would make sense and add another layer of protection. Although there will be 12 backup-power-alarms at once when it fails. xD

Return to “Gameplay Help”