[Question] If there's a way to extend trains ghost?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
AlienRaven
Inserter
Inserter

[Question] If there's a way to extend trains ghost?

Post by AlienRaven »

If you mouse-over rail signal or similar item - it will show you "ghost" of the train with white lines, so you'll be able to see the proper direction (see screenshot below). By default it will show five spaces for wagons.

My question is whether there's a way in vanilla to tune it to show different amount of wagons. I personally use 1 loco + 6 wagons setup, would help so much for easier rails planning :)

I tried to search forum and reddit before posting, but could not find an answer. Sorry if it's a duplicate.
Attachments
ghost.jpg
ghost.jpg (102.57 KiB) Viewed 1633 times

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Question] If there's a way to extend trains ghost?

Post by Kelderek »

Not that I know of, I solve this by grabbing a rail signal and holding it over the rail until it aligns with the brackets form the train stop and that allows me to extend it further.

It is also annoying that the same brackets don't show both before and after rail signals. The devs assume that you will always place signals as you move forward on the track so the brackets only show behind the signal as you hover over the track. But if you ever need to go backward, for example if you add an intersection to a previously straight piece of rail, then you may need to back up from the intersection to place a signal and the brackets don't extend in front of the signal to allow you to do measurements against something ahead in the track's path.

AlienRaven
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AlienRaven »

Kelderek wrote:you will always place signals as you move forward on the track so the brackets only show behind the signal as you hover over the track.
This is the part that bugs me most, honestly. I have blueprints for straight rails, that will place signals at exact distance of 1 loco + 6 wagons. The problems usually arise when it comes to turns, i have to either build a train and measure against it or just place it in hope I predicted the length correct.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

AlienRaven wrote:
Kelderek wrote:you will always place signals as you move forward on the track so the brackets only show behind the signal as you hover over the track.
This is the part that bugs me most, honestly. I have blueprints for straight rails, that will place signals at exact distance of 1 loco + 6 wagons. The problems usually arise when it comes to turns, i have to either build a train and measure against it or just place it in hope I predicted the length correct.
Well, You just need to make a single turn blueprint with signals of 1 loco+6 wagons. Then forever after you will know that turn supports said train size.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Return to “Gameplay Help”